What's the longest your IBS pain has lasted?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am going on a month of what my doc believes is IBS. The bowel issues and pain started on 10/23 and I have dealt with it daily since. Dr. Google and arm chair physician friends say that IBS only lasts a few days so I wondered if others would share their experience. If you had an IBS diagnosis what was your longest flare up?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ive just been diagnosed with IBS and I have had this flare for six weeks. It came and went for a few days at a time but then would go on for a few weeks. Thankfully I have a few days now with my symptoms have really improved. Whether it is sheer coincidence but I have been eating/drinking Kefir and am on week for of Alforex. I certainly dont have the bloating and crampy stomach at the moment...

• Posted

Thank you for sharing! I wish I could try kefir. I tried kambucha but it made burn in stomach worse 😦 What I read is good for IBS isn't exactly good for gastritis.

• Posted

My doctor recommended the FODMAP diet, originated at Monash University in Australia, where research into individual ingredients is ongoing. There's a whole lot of information available at their site. It's not a diet to stay on for good--no more than 8 weeks. A kind of elimination diet for six groups of saccharides that trigger IBS symptoms: you'll find out what your serious trigger foods are. My lasting ones turned out to be stone fruits (like cherries) and, until I straightened things out, non-sourdough wheat bread and garlic. Counter-intuitive in many cases (who knew that artichokes or peaches could be hard for some of us to digest?). I've used it twice and it worked both times to reestablish a functional gut biome. I also take a digestive enzyme supplement with meals to maintain it. When I first went on it I'd had IBS symptoms for 6 weeks, after antibiotics; they continued for another 6 until the FODMAP regime fixed me up.

• Posted

Thank you Mary. I downloaded the Monash FODMAP app hoping it helps. I would sure be a lot less stressed if I did ot have the ulcer/gastritis issue on top of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.