What's the safest air sickness remedy if you suffer from P.A.F

Posted , 8 users are following.

I get paroxysomal Atrial fibrillation,(A.F.) its unpredictable, and frightening. I also get travel sickness. I have never been on a plane before, but plan to go to Italy soon, I'm worried about air sickness, as WELL as the possible side effects of anti sickness medication, such as A.F. 

Does anyone know of the safest drug to take? Or if there are any other tips to avoid A.F. while travelling, and motion sickness?

Thanks folks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have PAF too. The other day I thought exactly the same. I'm in the UK and I take "travel calm" Hyoscine Hydrobromide. I'm not sure if this affects PAF, but personally I don't think I had an issue with it. I also checked the interactions to my beta-blockers, bisoprolol, which was OK.They make your mouth dry but yeah.

• Posted

Hi Terence,  I'm not too sure but, I think something called Piriton from the chemist or from the doctor's a tablet called Stemetil which is a anti-sickness drug it can also make you drowsy and relaxed.  Best to seek professional advice first just in case any of the ingredients cause an interaction.  Good Luck

• Posted

Hey.

Never get air sickness or travel sickness. My guess would be to take a double gin ń tonic before and during the flight. Calms me right down. And also I have been lucky enough to never had an episode when flying. I guess I would do anything different to what I normally would do. Take some extra bisoprolol and wait. Upon arrival I would then seek medical attention.

• Posted

A double gin would definitely trigger my PAF as does any alcohol.
    • Posted

You're lucky that you know what triggers you AF. I wish knew what triggers mine..it can set off at any time without cause. At least a cause i can't seem to put my finger on.

• Posted

mine seem to be, a second glass of wine, a larger glass of spirits, more than a pint of guiness or cider.... Also being very relaxed ie watching a nice good film, getting into a really good book, sitting too long, lie ins, quick changes in the weather ie nice becoming yeuchy, also high pressure above 1030 seems to as well certainly below 995 does and more likely if the drop is quite quick, thunderstorms / thundery weather,  
  • Posted

Hi Terence, I have PAF and its unpreditable. I also have travel sickness but NOT when I fly? I spoke to the pharmacist that knows my medication and he suggested a very low dose travel pill (because they make you sleepy) but I never needed it thank goodness.

So I suggest your pharmacist will answer your query, 

Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.