What's the worst that can happen?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was first diagnosed with a Pilonidal Sinus in late 2001 and underwent a closed wound operation in early 2002. As a normal-sized 16 year old girl it was understandably traumatic to be told you had a condition that mainly affected overweight, hairy men. My doctors seemed completely unsympathetic to the fact that I was mortified at my situation and terrified of the long-term effects and it is only in the last couple of years that I have begun to research this disease more myself and discovered that it's not as simple as being overweight, or male, or particularly hairy. Given my determination not to suffer a recurrence I have since religiously cleaned this area and for the first five years after my operation, regularly removed the hair from my lower back. I'll admit that I did stop the hair removal as never having been particularly hairy I didn't think it could be of much real benefit. Last year I had a couple of occasions when I felt some pressure around the wound site but as this only lasted a couple of days and never caused much pain or amounted in any discharge or abscesses I didn't pay much attention to them. Seven years after my first operation, about a month ago, I experienced my first abscess. This was cleaned and dressed by myself and went away after a few days however I am again experiencing some slight pressure around the wound site and two small holes have appeared which suggest two new tracts. I will be seeking medical advice on this but just wanted to ask, what it the worst that would happen if I just left these? What are the long-term consequences for PS sufferers who chose not to have an operation to remove the sinus tracts? As a now, slightly overweight, 23 year old I dread the thought of having another disfiguring, uncomfortable and frankly embarrassing operation and just wondered if anyone knew what the potential consequences of refusing an operation might be? Am I going to die from this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

These things are terrible, get it looked at as soon as possible smile
  • Posted

If u leave it untreated,the tract could keep growing longer until it forces u to go in for surgery.According to my gp,it could grow and open into the anal tract which could defenitely cause a lot of problems,not to mention embarassment.The earlier the surgery,the easier.And we all agree hair removal is quite a discomfort,but we've got to grit out teeth and put up with it.
  • Posted

Hey there.

I was 24 when I had my first, I was in a bad state though... It was 6 inches deep and 5inches round. When this decided to explode I went into septic shock - which may I add is also horrible! I was a fool to have left it so long to go to the doctor but I assumed, as I slept next to the raidiator I'd just bruised myself.

I advise anyone - that if you feel it coming on - GET TO THE DOCTOR before you end up like me. I was in hospital for 5 days waiting for an emergency operation. Afterwards I was fine, this was october 2008.

It's now August 2009 and I have had yet another come up on the left (which is very uncommon) and have a set of antibiotics as I seem to have caught it before the bigger problems arise.

Please seek help

x

• Posted

I think most women are embarrassed about being diagnosed with this condition - I was mortified following my recent operation with the on going treatment required! I am scared to death that it will come back - but I was lucky to have a sympathetic medical centre and partner to help. You must go back and get this looked at again - ask for another doctor - a female on if possible, and explain how embarrassed you feel. Anything rather than going through this painful condition - be strong and although you feel like you're dying inside with embarrassment, remember you are not alone lots of us girls are in the same boat and are sympathetic to situation. Good luck and chin up. :D :winkeye:
  • Posted

Hi I have exactly the same problem.... I am not even thinking of having another operation on my lower back as the I will never recover from the pain ... in fact, it is the double pain after the operation. My cysts are bleeding no pus or no drainage in the area ... only blood is coming out of my cyst.... I was given antibiotics of 500mg Flucloxacillin with a mixture of Penicillin but it made me feel s**t. and now I have no idea of what to do either. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.