What's wrong with me?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Out of op 5 weeks and feel awful. No enthusiasm, no appetite, listless.  Am 76 and was in good health. Off of the meds. Bad on my stomach. Lost 16 lbs

after constant therapy they still only can get little over 60 sdegrees   Hope to feel better soon. This has been difficult to say the least. Cold all the time. Any suggestions?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello Bob

it really is early days yet ...I had difficulty reaching a 90 degree bend at 8 weeks post op

i  too am 76 and was fit before this op ..apart from the knee

have you lost weight because the meds make you sick? 

I hardly ate anything for the first 3 weeks and I lost a stone. 

Now at 10 weeks I've driven my car twice... I still have pain in my knee ...quite bad at times...but ice and elevation settles it down eventually

what I'm trying to say is there's light at the end of the tunnel ...you are going through a bad stage at the moment but it will pass 

take care 

Jean 

• Posted

5 weeks us very early days. You must keep doing the exercises and you will get better .. Just wrap up warm xxx
  • Posted

Bob....I don't think age is the factor, I suspect its just the nature of the beast with which you are dealing. I was the same age when I had my revision last year. It seems the system, mentally and physically, just rebels and has its own way for a couple of weeks. Just give yourself a little extra TLC and don't push quite as hard. A little more rest, especially with the holidays looming. You will rebound soon, I'm sure.
  • Posted

Bob, what you are going through is absolutely normal. The first few weeks are really bad and if I hadn't read all the posts on this forum I would have despaired. It will get better, I'm 9 weeks postop and still have very painful days but mentally I am now fine and I put tht down to the brilliant people on here.No one knows unless they've been there. Relax and try to find pain killers that you can take. Or ask for anti nausea tablets. They help.
  • Posted

I haven't had a knee replacement and that is what it sounds like you went thru, and only 5 weeks ago....from what I hear you have lots more work to do and time to go.

I have some other ideas but could be all surgery related for your issue.  I don't know if cold is part of the recovery, if  you are in the UK your weather is colder... Joy 76 US 

• Posted

I just posted some energy support info on the chronic fatigue group and the FM group....you may want to check out.  J
  • Posted

I had trouble with nausea from pain meds ...I'm diabetic..and needed to maintain an intake...my hubby bought  me some chocolate protein energy drinks...this helped a lot ..I  am now 14 weeks ...post tkr and still prefer smaller light meals...maybe a little more often...try to maintain a daily routine ...including how you eat...you will be listless if you are not eating properly....this is major surgery...and a lot of work...please consider calling your doctor for help ...best wishes for your recovery...it will come ...anita
  • Posted

Hi Bob.....you ask what's wrong with you? You had a tkr, that's what's wrong. As everybody here will attest, it's no  walk in the park. You will have bad days/weeks and better days/weeks. Just don't overdo it and please don't think it's a competition, everyone is different and their reactions to this surgery is different.

I had terrible nausea for the first 4-6 weeks, because of the medication I think. 

I am about 20 weeks post op and I thought I was right over all the annoying problems associated with the op.....I thought it was full speed ahead, but no!....now the pain is back, especially at night and my knee feels very hot again. I am getting depressed and wonder if I will ever get over this......and I have the other knee to go yet.

Just letting you know Bob, what you are going through seems quite normal.

• Posted

Bob,

While the meds did not bother me, my sister who had TKR five months before me felt the same way.  The meds made her feel awful and she had no appetite.  But, she returned to her old self after getting off of the meds and getting them out of her system.   May want to discuss with your doctor an alternative medication if you need for pain.  If you are in lots of pain, you will not do your exercises that are so important.  Don't forget to ice down your knee and wrap to reduce swelling as well.  The first few weeks are the hardest because of lack of comfortable sleep.  I NEVER slept on my back until surgery smile.  Discuss the degrees with your therapist.  I noticed that everyone met their 125 degree bend, but some made it very quickly and others it took a while.  Only your doctor/therapist can decide if its a problem at this point.  Good luck to you.  Hope you feel better soon.  Remember, the anesthesia/drugs/confinement can make you a little depressed too.

• Posted

hi,  I'm 3 weeks out from surgery.  I am just starting to come out of the "tkr funk"  I have lost 12 lbs, I freeze all day long even to the point of cold sweats.  No sleep, and horrible shin bone pain.  I went back to my surgeon and he gave me Mobic, an anti inflammatory and I actually slept for 5 hrs straight.   the medicine reduced my pain enought to finally sleep.  Today all those negative symptoms are gone.  I was hungry, I'm not freezing etc.  Leading me to believe a lot of these awful symptoms may be related to sleep depravation.  Go back to your doc and see if he can help.  I also went and got a massage and she worked on my hamstrings and the sore muscles up and down my shin.  Then the chiropractor put the tens unit on my leg for 10 minutes.  I feel human today.  You really have to take care of yourself and get the help you need.
  • Posted

You had a TKR Bob that it what's wrongsmile like  everyone else said, what you are going through is normal. i would try talking to your Dr about pain relief. You prob still need some analgesia and that is prob why your bend is only 60 deg.
  • Posted

As everyone says, Bob, you're quite typical I'm afraid! My advice would be to take painkillers if you can that don't upset your stomach and try to do the basic exercises regularly. Also rest whenever you can. Naps during the day are necessary at your stage I think. I too lost my appetite for about 6 or 7 weeks and it wasn't just from the strong painlillers. It did return though - As did the lbs I lost, unfortunately. Gradually you stop feeling so tired too but I found this took longer - about 3 months, I think. So hang on in there. It's so unpleasant I know but it does get better - slowly 😊 If this op develops anything in you, it's patience! Jen (17 weeks) 
  • Posted

Morning Bob,

Firstly, what you are feeling is NORMAL.  Like you, I lost my appetite, felt nauseous, couldn't concentrate and was always cold - and this was in June during our hot Summer.

I suspect your lack of bend has much to do with swelling.  Are you icing with a cryocuff and elevating your leg?  My husband did this for me every two hours for ten minutes and it was a huge relief.  Also, are you still taking pain relief of some kind? You will need this to encourage you to exercise which is VITAL.

If it is any consolation, time really is the healer in the case of TKR which is a huge operation which takes its toll physically but, more importantly, mentally.

I am about to set off on a trip to the US - something I couldn't have even contemplated a couple of months ago.  That will set me up, I pray, for knee number two next March.

Please keep coming back to us.  This forum has seen us through the darkest times.

Lynn 21 weeks post op

• Posted

Hi Bob, I just want you to know that I am 52 had both my knees replaced at the same time, I know crazy but both where bad, doctor said I was a good canditate to have them both done, glad I did cuz there is no way I would have gone back and have the other one done. SO here it is I am 4 months since surgery, I have lost 22 pounds and have a 90 degree bend on my knees. Meds made me feel awful didn't want to eat just felt awful. Now I don't have to take meds, except when I overdo it and in so much pain, still don't want to eat much BUT I no longer have a bad stomach and things are looking up. It will get better.....it just takes time, hang in there. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.