What's wrong with me?!?

Posted , 5 users are following.

It all started off with a yeast infection, before that I had no problems what so ever!! It have now been going on for 5/6 months! I was back and forth the doctors all the time and they would say time and time again it was thrush, being prescribed loads on anti fungal medication and creams but nothing was doing the trick!! It lasted 2 months and then gradually went on its own I assumed, sex life is hard! I haven't had it now in 3 months, there is constant tearing of the peranium and really painful to have sex, so I went to a gaenecologist for her to say it looked like some sort of erythema so she prescribed a mild topic cream to see if that would do the trick, after trying the cream it still didn't clear up the problem, so I went back and explained that it hadn't worked and how frustrated I was with the whole situation which then she replied that it could be lichen sclerosis as I told her that when I was younger I had alot of problems with it being red and sore. So she prescribed me 'dermovate' ointment to see if that would do the trick and would stop it being sore and splitting and cutting But still every time I try to have sex without months of having it to try and get my skin to heal it re splits again and ends up being too painful for me and my partner to have sex, why have this all a sudden sprung from a yeast infection and why won't anything work on getting it back to normal againsad helpppppp

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

The skin around the entrance improved when I was using lubricant and the dermovate but as soon as I tried for sex it was back to square 1 with the soreness and blistery cuts, its so annoying 
  • Posted

It is probably something you have had for some time without knowing. That seems to be the thing on this board. The yeast infection didn't bring on LS the yeast infection was probably a wrong diagnosis. As for sex, I am still able to have sex with the help of coconut oil for lubrication but I would recommend you waiting for a little bit. You need to let your skin heal more. I would hold off from sex and not try to rush it.

• Posted

They told me the test come back positive for thrush, I got messed around so many times as all the thrush treatments they gave me wasn't working! But after 2 months of having it the itchiness and soreness slowly calmed down! I was just left with the skin around the opening really cracked and sore, especially when it was stretched, it was really painful! So that's when they thought it was erythema! But the mild topic cream didn't work so I had to go back to the gyne, which she then said it could be LS as the splits and tears aren't healing and are very easily irritated! It's been going on for near enough 6 months now, when we tried having sex for the first time in 3 months last night as I though my skin had fully healed as it wasn't red and I didn't think there were any splits or cuts but as soon as we started it was back to square 1 with it being so sore and red as well as burning and stinging as the blisters and cuts had re appeared, I waited 3 months and it's still re occurring, it's way to painful to even attempt having sex! Starting to slowly lose hope😩

• Posted

Don't ever lose hope!!!!  Did you have a biopsy to test for LS?  I think the first thing you need to do is be sure it is LS.  A biopsy test can give you those results.  My gyne just said it was LS and gave me clobetosol with the directions of how often to use, etc. and basically sent me on my way.  I left there a mess, crying, losing my mind, etc.  I made an appointment with a female dermatologist who did a small biopsy in her office and the results did come back with LS.  I always thought I had issues with yeast too and always tried creams and pills.  I think it will take some time for the skin to heal and calm down since you have been using so much and not 100% sure what you are treating.  There are other options too.  LS hates stress, sugar, sweat, some say gluten.  I would suggest starting with your diet and trying to eliminate stress.  From there no tight pants and I don't wear underwear most of the time.  I rinse every time I use the bathroom, use coconut oil and aquaphor as a barrier. I also be careful on what toilet paper I use and I changed my laundry detergent.  There are a lot of women on here who believe in baking soda baths and using borax.  There is a wonderful discussion on here if you search for it regarding borax.  Don't lose hope...you will find your balance.  Best of luck!

• Posted

For yeast, Acidophilus.....take I 2 x a day.  All the yogurt, probiotic and fancy named pills are a way of getting this much more efficient version into your gut. When you have LS you often get yeast infections as well. Wash ALL your "private areas" with a non soap cleanser... both can be found in places like CVS Walgreens Target, Walmart.

For the SKIN. Does it burn when urine touches it? Aquaphor is a good barrier cream. comes in a tube or a big tub, same stores. Now for PRESCRIPTION medications. Many gynecologists, sadly are a pap smear, yearly breast exam and see you next year education. You need a Specialty Gynecologist or vulvar MD. Steroids are BAD for an already thinning skin condition--- yes it may get rid of the redness and itching, but since it still is a drug that is not for long term use and thins the skin it is not a long term solution. Anyone that tells you 'I've been using clobetasol for 20 years..... blah blah...." Well if you have been using it for 20 years IT HASNT SOLVED YOUR PROBLEMS!!!

There is a myriad of topicals out there. I've had success with Tacrolimus (Protopic) it was originally for Psoriasis, when comparing "symptoms " it make sense. The theory behind LS is that it is an autoimmune disease... but no one knows for sure. It will be trial and error while you try and see what works for you. Many women try altering their diets, eliminating sugar, AIP diet.  There is a FB page Lichen Sclerosis ,  Join the group that has a "post it" on the top with the words " YOU ARE NOT ALONE" . Great source for real time talk with lots of others as well as here

Got to get healed before sex... Showers are better than baths, keep it from being wet and full of bacteria too. Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment  is a prescription, Nystop is a powder for when is too moist there, especially between butt cheeks. For the split Mupirocin Ointment 3 x day.... all are by MD prscription. Fight for it. Premarin is an estrogen cream... depending on age that may be prescribed to thicken skin too. Good luck!! 

• Posted

I don't seem to have the itch anymore, I've been taking acidophilus capsules everyday anyway, at the moment it's more of a burning sensation! Everything down there seemed fine until I tried having sex! Which seems really irritated and sore now! I'm going back to the gyne soon so she can take a look to make sure it's LS for definate, I just need to have a diagnosis soon, I'm only 18 so all this is confusing to me, it's so stressful as I'm still so young and don't understand how it just sprung on me one night with a really bad itch and it's ended up lasting for months😒 Can it start with a yeast infection? Can something trigger it? 

• Posted

I sympathize with you. I have been married now for 47 years and I had the same problem you have with your husband about 45 years ago! I eventually had a small op where the gynie folded back some skin (don't know how else to explain it) over the area that tears and that fixed the problem. However, I have had LS for over 30 years now and that area over the years has just got thin and tears again. This is due to using a steroid cream for too long. Try to find out what else you can do to bring relief. I suggest you read through this forum as there is a LOT of good advice. I use a mixture of 4 tablespoons of Organic Castor oil, 1 DROP Lemon Grass Essence oil, 2 DROPS Lavender Essence Oil. Use a small dropper and don't exceed the drops, be very careful.

• Posted

Is that to help with the tears healing? X
  • Posted

I was 19 when my skin split, actually while I was having relations with my husband. it was terrible. I was very young and hadn't been to a gynie before. I finally plucked up the courage but he wanted to cauterize the area and I was so scared that I never went back. It was always so painful to have relations with my husband after that. I then had two children over a space of 3 years and finally the gynie I was seeing at the time (a different one) suggested this op to fold the skin over the torn area. It certainly did the trick and I didn't have any more pain or problems. However, some years after that I started LS and also started to use steroid creams and the skin got thinner and thinner and eventually started to split again. I think everyone should try not to use steroid creams and try to manage the condition by some other methods .... like I have now after 30 years!!! Too late??!!??

• Posted

I am concerned that so much emphasis is being put on the steroid thinning the skin. I used the steroid ointment to get control of the LS then cut right back without realising that I was fusing down there to the degree that I have only one small lip remaining. On reading Professor Goldsteins report I read that LS is actually a skin thickening condition and this is what causes the fusing and it is necessary to use the steroid to slow down the speed of fusing. I do hope that you can set some ease soon, you perhaps need to hold off on sex for a while until you have a reasonable level of healing.I can recommend the use of a spray of dilute baking soda after using the toilet and then use coconut oil to lubricate. Good luck k
    • Posted

I'm not even sure if my splits are actually healing!! I'm still sore, 3 days after trying to have sex! We never are able to get the deed done as I feel as if I'm ripping and it burns! It's totally put me of the idea of sex and am starting to be fearful of it, it's not been a positive experience at all! how did your LS start off? I haven't experienced bad yeast infections since about 6 months ago where I thought it was only a yeast infection that was the problem! I don't itch at all either, and neither does my skin (down below) look anything like LS pictures I have seen! But it does look smooth and have some dark red splits/blisters surrounding the entrance to the vagina, and when the skin is stretching when I'm trying to have sex it's cracking and splitting again, it looks really sore!!!! Do you think this sounds like LS? 

• Posted

And also my splits are not on the outside of my skin, more on the outside part but it's on the inside, it's hard to explain! 

• Posted

Your problem is really of great concern to me as it sounds as if you have the same problem I had when I was 19, I am now 67. I too became very fearful and even after I had the small op that fear of being hurt never left me, I was always tense and had to force myself to have sex for my husbands sake. Still married but I have to say that I think that whole business has put a HUGE strain on our marriage that has lasted all these years (47 years) So my advice to you is not to have intercourse until this problem is solved but obviously you will have to find other ways to satisfy your husband in the meantime. It is hard for them to understand what it is like. I don't think any cream is going to fix your split. I tried everything for a few years under the guidance of a gynie and nothing worked. Eventually I went for a second opinion and was told about this little op I could have. It really worked but eventually after having LS for so many years I started to tear again when my skin became thin. Now these kind of "tears" CAN be fixed with various creams and that is why I think you have the same problem I had and the split is much deeper. Perhaps even for you the cauterization might work. I wish now that I had've had the courage to have it done, to at least try it. 

So, the bottom line for you, in my humble opinion, is that you have to get this split fixed either by a small op or perhaps cauterization.... or something. I think you should try to see the right person to get this done as soon as possible. I would lay off the sex until this is sorted as it is just going to make you and your husband very unhappy. I really don't think in your case that any of the creams are going to fix your particular problem. I am so glad to see that you have so much support on this forum. 

Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.