What's wrong with me?

Posted , 6 users are following.

First, I'm a male 51 years old. I've always been in good health. I was very athletic when I was younger and continued to stay in good shape through the years. I've always worked out and stayed in good shape. I am 6'ft and up to the last year weighed around 175 to 180.  The last year I have gained weight up to 200 lbs. The past year I started losing energy and losing the desire to go work out. For several months I would have energy to go work out and then lose it and it would take a few weeks to get the energy back. About 2 months ago it started getting worse. I started having pains all over my body. At first they would come and go. Over the last month it has increased. Sometimes the pain is unbearable. My legs hurt and pain in my arms that hurts down to the bone. Sometimes pain and tension in my neck and shoulders. Along with this pain is stinging burning pains I have in my feet, ankles, hands and fingers. These stinging pains happen sometimes on other parts of my body. Besides all these pains I have sore or tender places on different parts of my body. They almost feel like I'm bruised but I don't see a bruise. My stomach stays upset alot and I can't sleep solid at night. I sleep for awhile and wake up and repeat it all through the night.  I've always worked hard. It usually takes alot to bring me down but whatever is going on now is dragging me down. Getting through my work day is very hard some days.  I told my GP about this and he told me I may have a vitamin deficiency. I'm not sure but someone at work said it could be fibromyalgia but men don't usually have it. I would just like to get better.  Any opinions.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Darryl,

This sounds very much like fibro, I was exactly the same, always fit and healthy, worked long hours in the NHS. I had an assault in work by one of my patients in 2011 and ever since then I became ill, pain fatigue, anxiety depression, trouble sleeping. Anyway I finally got a diagnosis in 2015, fibro and ME, then downhill with other diagnosises. I now have sleep apnea too. Men can still have this condition, it's just that majority are women that's all. Be persistent with your GP as some are reluctant to diagnose.

Good luck, let's know how you get on, keep posting as people on here are so informative.

• Posted

Darryl,

First of all, I am so sorry for your pain...! And second, I can empathize with how you feel and being in great shape, having an overabundant amount of energy and getting things done and then the struggle to do so, weight gain and exhaustion. I am 56, a female and was just diagnosed about 5-6 months ago with fibromyagia. Prior to my diagnosis, I went through 3 cervical spine surgeries. I worked with a woman who had fibromyalgia and she predicted that one day I would probably get it too after the surgeries and messing around with my spine and nerves. 

I have never been able to return to work full-time. I temp and take on assignments as they come. Recently, working for a non-profit I had to quit 4+ weeks into a 17 week assignment and right before their biggest fundraiser. Tge environment was stressful and the least bit of worry and stress sends me into a “fibro storm.” 

I know from what I have read that it is rare for men to get fibromyalgia, but your symptoms sound similarly suspicious. I would suggest seeing your primary care doctor to see what he says and then getting a referral to a rheumatologist. I do not have the foot, ankle, leg pain or joint pain you mention. The sleep thing just started. However, my twin has fibro too (no spine surgeries) and hers is not near as severe as mine. I have been in bed for 2 days. I feel my life has been taken away from me and I want it back.

Stay positive and keep moving!!! Expect less and be grateful for what you get done in a day - at work and physically. It’s the small things for me these days. I was a runner and cyclist and worked out in the gym. Now I go for walks! And you know what...it is OK!!! I am alive, loved and have a full life!!! It has just changed and I am learning to embrace the change!!! Hang in there!!!

• Posted

Hi darry this sounds a bit like me. I started with rls they travelled to any part of my body. I started to loose energy use to run five miles a day and now I haven't got the energy to do one. Started to get upset stomach regular. Then bang left hip pain deep to the bone daily right hip pain daily stinging pains all round my rib cage neck feels swollen cramps and stinging pains in my arms and hands mainly but can get them anywhere my feet toes head u name it. Had bloods took hundred of times and loads of scans and nope nothing . I'm on pain killers every four hours. It never goes away it came from nowhere and now I have it every day some days better then others but the pains are there everyday. My gp only yesterday said I'm sure u have fibro. I'd not heard of it before x good luck x

• Posted

Hi darryl sorry to hear you are having a bad time. It sounds like fibro I like your self was very health and a I was in good shape loved to exercise an loved walking and 3 yrs ago it all changed for me i started off with niggle pains an felt like my body was bruised also sleepless nights took me a year to get diagnosed with fibro. Also put a lot of weight on o er 4 stone in the 3years which is depressing. My advice would speak to your doctor about it an asked to be referred to a rheumatologist that's what my urology nurse done for me. I really do sympathise with you an hope you get it sorted. Kirsty

• Posted

Hi Daryl, First I would recommend that you go to the doctor and get a full blood work done. You could be iron deficient for starters. Iron deficiencies can cause insomnia, leg pain, dizziness, and other symptoms. So having a full analysis of your blood and also seeing if the doctor might suspect that you may have a touch of arthritis as well. Good to rule out other conditions first. Then if all comes back normal, you could ask your doctor to refer you to a Rheumatologist to get a proper diagnosis if Fibromyalgia could be a factor. Many men have symptoms of Fibromyalgia Darryl but they don’t talk about it or take steps to find a diagnosis. Women are more likely to get to a doctor when they are concerned with their health. So this condition does not always just choose one over the other, male or female. You may be lacking in certain nutrients as well; and vitamins and minerals due to diet or over exertion. You could try some natural Magnesium cream from the health food store to help with your pain. It is a muscle relaxant and it also promotes better sleep. You are never alone in your struggles Daryl. So take courage and just continue to be proactive in finding your health solutions. Warmest Regards,

Maggie 

• Posted

I really appreciate all the replies.  It's 4:15am Friday morning. I've been up since 2am. I couldn't sleep so I decided to just get up. I took a hot bath and it makes me feel some better. I've noticed at work that my strength has really gone down. As long as I'm moving I don't usually feel much of the pain but the moment I stop the pain start going through different parts of my body.  Yesterday I had some really bad pains in the back of my head going into my neck. It's almost like the pain in my legs and arms never stops.  Does anyone have these type pains and pains in hands and feet that sometimes makes it hard for me to grip something. I go back to Dr. this afternoon and I plan on telling him all these symptoms again. I just hope there is something he can do or give me that would just help a little with the pains. I'm to young to just stop working and some days I just feel like going home. I'm trying to stay positive and I know things could be alot worse but the daily pains are wearing me down. My mind is not as sharp as it was. I feel bad for my wife and boys as I don't feel like doing anything with them and when I do I'm just not my self. Well, I'm sorry for going on this pity feel sorry for me. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and prayers.  I pray for healing and comfort for everyone here that deals with these pains.  God Bless you all.   Darryl York

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.