What's wrong with me?!

Posted , 83 users are following.

Hi guys,

I'm new to this. Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place - just after some ideas/advice.

Since the beginning of December I've been feeling sick quite regularly, particularly after eating food. This became so severe that over Xmas I was off work for a week, spent the week in bed feeling excessively tired and feeling horribly sick. I barely ate anything and as soon as I did eat then I just felt even worse. I've seen my GP on 3 separate occasions now. She has prescribed Omeprazole 20mg and Metoclopramide 10mg, both of which I've been taking for 2.5 weeks now. GP has asked me to change my diet and is putting my symptoms down to Gastritis. I should add, whilst I don't eat unhealthy food, I do work 12 hour shifts which include nights so the times at which I eat and the food I choose to eat at these times can affect my stomach. Bloods have been taken, but nothing showed up so as far as the GP is concerned there is nothing to worry about. But.....as I'm sure you can appreciate, there is something to worry about because I still don't feel well, and this is six weeks later.

Making the situation a million times worse is I'm Emetophobic (fear of vomit) and so feeling sick stresses me out because I then worry that I might be sick and tend to avoid eating in case I am sick.

No diarrhoea, vomiting or passing of blood accompanies my symptoms. Just the feeling sick and overly tired. Does anyone know what could be causing this and if there is anything I can do to aid recovery?

Many thanks in advance for any help offered,

Dec

4 likes, 146 replies

146 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I never wake up in pain, maybe it's because I'm always so tired from working shift and running around after 18 month old would take a lot to wake me up to be fair 😜.

My pain is more lower but my stomach gets bloated and sick feeling and I feel like I have a belly ache most mornings. Still comes and goes. Felt rough last night and woke up with stomach ache this morning. Was suppose to go to work for overtime today but blew it out due to feeling rough. But since breakfast have been feeling ok today.

Due you find when eating home made meals from scratch you usually feel better? Again still finding out what affects me but have noticed normally things out of a jar/packet make me feel a lot worse could it be salt content? Suppose at least home made food we know exactly what's going ino it.

Definitely should be some perks having family work there Dec. Would be tempted to get it booked in ASAP if I was you mate.

I'm gonna have home made banana and sultana muffin now with cup of tea. My wife is definatly looking after me 😁.

Hope you all have good night tonight.

• Posted

I shouldnt have said I sleep OK! Was awake most of night with it..first time..could be because I had a banana around 9.30...they sometimes make me feel bad....but. Not always....took Paracetemol and eventually slept at 4 am

Yes home made food is all that I fancy.....that recipe for the muffins sounds good...I bake biscuits with a little sugar and have honey instead...they seem OK. My partner loves them...too much ....he has to be redirected sometimes to normal biscuits which he can eat just fine!

Off out now......but wont eat anything,....

Have a good day

• Posted

Aww Val, so sorry to hear that. I awakened much earlier than normal with a horrid bloating feeling. I know that's the herbal stuff I tried though - it did warn it'll make me bloated for a while before it starts to work.

Today has been ok again so far. Had porridge for breakfast and then a jacket potato with spaghetti for lunch.

Muffins do sound good. I'm trying to eat as naturally as possible. Also sterilising the cutlery I use just before use. This could easily lead to OCD!

Really hope the day is going well for you.

• Posted

Hi Dec, I have alot of the symptoms you describe, particularly the nausea and stomach noises and low down spasms.  The dr put me on PPIs but it turned out not to be acid but a food intollerance caused by an intestinal bug! Unfortunately took 18 months to diagnose. Put on low FODMAP diet and now re-introducing foods but severe lactose intollerance.  I would ask for a stool test if you have not had on (I had to ask as they were convinced it was all functional IBS type stuff and acid) but they found a rare bug which needed treating with anti biotics. Try giving up a food type, one at a time and give it a few weeks....mine def lactose and its in a lot of things! Give it a go!!! smile
    • Posted

Worrychick,

Great to hear from you, and thanks so much for your message! That's very helpful. I'm making myself another appointment on Friday and will definitely ask about that. I also want my heartburn investigated further. My Mum (I've mentioned previously on here she's an Endoscopy nurse) is concerned at how often I have heartburn and said if it's not treated properly I am at high risk of developing other serious health problems. 

Thanks again for your input! :-)

Best regards,

Dec

• Posted

You're welcome, let me know how you get on....There must be a reason our bodies start playing up x
    • Posted

Hi worry chick I was wondering do you know what was the name of the intestinal bug?  I've been suffering with the same symptoms for so long and can't seem to find an answer.  I'm at my wits end.  I just wish I had some answers.
    • Posted

Hi it was called aero hydrophila.  Very rare.  However, I think that any bug could leave you with food intollerances....I probably mentioned I don't eat wheat or dairy or legumes and then I am fine.....but I had this for 18 months before I discovered what was causing it and although the bug has gone, I am left with the same symptoms.....I tried some bread for a week, building up slowly, but after 10 days all m symptoms of nausea and stomach ache and spasms came back.... after only a day of back to gluten free bread and simple food, still no dairy, I was fine again....so for me it is definitely related to what I eat.....and it seems you can have a tollerance level, so one slice of bread or an item with dairy in it may be okay; anything with milk is an issue.  I probably could have the odd slice of bread though now.  Ask your doctor to refer you to a nutitionist and try the low FODMAP diet....but if you are lactose intollerant like me, you may be able to have high fat, low lactose items like cream.,...I definitely couldn't and went backwards to start with, so beware of that one.  Good luck xx

• Posted

Hello Worrychick 

i am new here. I have intermittent diarrhoea and used to always think it was IBS but it's different last 6 months as I have a sicky feeling too even though I take anti sickness pills after having an endoscopy which showed a small hiatus hernia. The sick feeling is coupled with feeling very lethargic. 

I have had 3 stool samples sent off last week and a number of blood tests

I too have noticed bad tummy gripes after eating wheat so have started a wheat free diet and am contemplating cutting out dairy too, trying to find a milk alternative I like. 

The gp wants to review all the tests next week but so far 2 out if 3 stool samples came back normal and also same for some of the blood tests.

i know all of it will be normal and it will mean trying some other test, but what? If your bug was rare what if I have that but haven't been tested for it? 

Oh dear, this is really getting me down as I feel awful every morning and this on off diarrhoea is a nightmare. Anyone any suggestions of what other tests? Thankyou for any help in advance.

• Posted

Hello, were you ever able to figure anything out? I've been having similar symptoms for a long time now and I'm so stressed trying to figure out what is wrong.

• Posted

Hi Melissa I thought I'd reply to you as the other posts are quite old.  I've been experiencing terrible mid abdominal pain (the sort that makes you bend over doubled up) and nausea for about 2 months.  I thought originally it was wind or maybe IBS as it got worse then quickly got much worse.  Went to GP who put me on Omeprazole 2 x 2 daily for a week which worked, then 1 x 2 daily for a week.  As soon as I reduced the dose the symptoms came back.  I'm also on metformin and Glicazide.  The metformin (for type 2 diabetes) felt like they were burning a hole in my stomach so I stopped taking them..well been eating like a bird..very minimal diet I can't take a lot  (and indeed scared of what I can eat) as the symptoms can be so severe and come on quickly...usually about 30 mins to 1.5 hrs after eating.  Long an short endoscopy yesterday and nothing found.  I was rather hoping they'd say they found an ulcer as my symptoms were pointing to this.  Biopsies taken for coeliac disease (which neither the endosccopy doctor or me believe I have) and pylori .  Results net week.  Sort of hoping that having the endoscopy would make my symptoms disappear but nooo...suffering tonight.   I can go  a few days feeling fine then it all starts again.   When I get the nausea/pain I also go freezing cold like I'm chilled to the bone.  Off to GP tomorrow with my endoscopy report.   Absolutely no idea what's causing this sad

• Posted

Hi..thanks Dec...well today I was called early by the hospital to say my ct scan results had shown I needed to go as an inpatient and take a overnight bag...but.not why. my GP then called and told me that something in the ct scan had been spotted and could be a pulminary embolism in lung....Sorry spelling.......so off we went to the hospital and after some tests the dr said they were only less than 50 percent sure from the scan whether I has this and they didn't want to pump me with warfarin as I have a bad liver anyway...nothing about my stomach and now we are home again,,,,the ct showed only that there was a slight problem with pancreas....and no stones in the gallbladder..the ultra sound the day before showed lots!! Odd.....,.

Was the mastic gum the reason you felt bloated? I have heard good reports of it, the one from Chios in Greece....... I might try it, did you get it online?

So that was a day.

• Posted

Hi Val,

Bet that was scary being told to go straight in! Good that you didn't have to stay in, though. Just spoken to my Mum. She's previously had gall stones and I remember it well....she put up with it for months until she couldn't do it anymore. She was in absolute agony, something I'm not suffering with much at all so I think it's safe to say I don't have them. She just said sometimes CT scans show things that aren't actually there and vice versa. Neither a CT or ultrasound alone are conclusive so if the hospital want to check for gall bladder issues then there any more tests they will need to do. In other words, if the ultrasound highlights you have gall stones but the CT indicates not, then you could still have them. Can understand the warfarin problem. It's not a good drug to be on long term at all.

Yeah, think so - I've read in many reviews that before any good is accomplished it does make you feel very bloated and gives you a bit of a tummy ache, but apparently it is worth persevering with. I got mine from Holland and Barrett. 120 pills for £21. I imagine you could get it cheaper online but I didn't want to have to wait for it to be delivered. I'll keep you updated with how it works - or if it works!

Hope your night goes well. smile

• Posted

Sorry to hear you had bad night Val. Biscuits sound good. I've had pretty good day today but suffering since dinner - again don't know what's caused it had chicken with ham and cheese and just veg with it. Can't think what's made me feel like this but feel so bloated and sick it unbelievable. Still eating minimum off 3 meals a day but can't seem to put weight on. Said to the wife earlier all I want to do is have goo few pints of lager followed by nice curry - can't see that happening for a long time. Things we used to take advantage of hey haha still there is always people worse off.

I might try going back to porridge Dec. I tend to have toast in the morning as I like my bread but should try different things. Still don't understand why I feel crap in the mornings and normally in the evenings but during the day it usually eases off.

Hope you both get more sleep tonight. Tomorrow's a new day 😋.

• Posted

Sorry Val only just seen your earlier post. Why a crazy day!! Does make you wonder how much about these symptoms/illnesses the doctors really know. One minute they suspect one thing then something else - scary. Have they said what the next plan of action is? More tests on your pancreas?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.