What's your experience with airplanes? Does flying bring on vertigo spells?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if people here who have vestibular issues experience any issues with flying in an airplane. If so, are shorter or longer flights more likely to bring on vertigo/dizziness?

I haven't flown in an airplane since 2011, and started having vertigo in 2016, so I don't know if flying would trigger anything for me or not. I want to go on a trip this year, and am hesitant because of the vertigo and dizziness/imbalance I experienced this past Jan/Feb. It's undiagnosed as of yet but I am waiting for an ENT referral; it could be BPPV, vestibular migraine, or something else.

Re: flying, I've heard of EarPlanes ear plugs - has anyone here used them? I've also heard nasal sprays or decongestants can help. Also, chewing gum before/during ascent and descent. Anyone have a strategy that works for avoiding vertigo on/after flying?

Appreciate any advice - thanks for reading.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i know alot of ppl with vestibular issues. in a group. its a pretty even split. some had issues flying, some didnt. join a fb group and see if you can get some answers there. depending on the specific vestibular issue i think the answers will vary. flying can cause fluid build up in the inner ear a doc told me once.

• Posted

i wish i had a solution because I get dizzier after being on an elevator! ive tried the motion sickness bracelets.. patches... dramamine...meclizine... i hope this helps!

• Posted

I get BPPV episodes and yes I suffer severe dizziness on take off and landing in planes, even in fast moving lifts. The length of the flights makes no difference to me because its the actual take offs that trigger the dizziness.

• Posted

Shirley, what do you do for the dizziness while being on a plane? do you take any sort of medication while on the plane? And when you get off the plane, do you feel better or are your trips ruined and can't enjoy the vacation?

• Posted

Hi rebecca, its been a few months since your last post. just wondering if you had any updates with the plane situation. did you eventually go on a plane yet?

• Posted

Hi Felo,

I've been on two different trips since making that post - the first trip involved a short flight, and the second trip was overseas and had a connecting flight.

Fortunately I didn't experience any vertigo or other vestibular issues in connection with the trips.

My strategy was to take a decongestant beforehand, chew a lot of gum, and use EarPlanes during ascent and descent.

For the second trip, I did experience a blocked ear for 1-2 days after flying, both on the way there and on the way home. Not really sure why that happened.

Best,

Rebecca

• Posted

"My strategy was to take a decongestant beforehand, chew a lot of gum, and use EarPlanes during ascent and descent"

Just wondering..what would have happened if you did NOT use any of those things (decongestant, gum, earplanes) during the flights? Do you think you would have had vertigo or vestibular issues then? Or is it possible that there wouldn't be any issues if you didn't use any of those things?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.