What's your PE chest pain/pain in general like?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was just wondering what your pain is like if you have any. Is all chest pain worse when breathing or does it just happen isolated? Does your pain radiate anywhere?

I'm also curious to see what your breathing/daily life was like before diagnosis.

Thanks guys!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

With my own experience I had no pain whatsoever from the dvt or Pe's that I had. My initial pain that led me to being admitted to hospital in Cyprus was put down to pluerisy which then led to them investigating further and discovering the clots. Coincidentally I have returned to Cyprus in this past week and visited the hospital where I was treated to thank them for all they did and the Doctor who treated me told me that 25% of those who suffer dvt and pe's have no pain at all and tend to be discovered when treated for other problems.

• Posted

Well I was dx with two large pe's in Feb and also had right heart damage. I still have pain now and it's been almost 5 months. I have bad chest pain if I go up steps, walk longer than 5 mins or do any activity that causes you to move more than a simple walk. Prior to being dx, I wasn't super active, but I was starting to become active. I never was out of breath walking or taking steps. I could walk miles before becoming exhausted. I have to see a cardiologist because there is something wrong with my heart. Ankle swelling, racing heart all day, palpations, chest pain and upper back pain. Not getting better, symptoms are getting worse. Also I never got another CT scan to see if clots desolved or blood work.

• Posted

I had 4 small clots I had had a little discomfort in my chest but no pain. Only after my diagnosis I had pain
  • Posted

For me I just got more breathless, my chest pain was exactly the same as my angina pain, central crushing / heaviness with pain radiating into left shoulder and arm, sometimes jaw, I occassionally get pain radiating into the back as well but since I was diagnosed with PE's the pain has been dull in the back and more often.

I can't honestly say other than the extreme fatigue and breathlesness if I experienced PE pain at all, my chest pain isn't consistent with the " text book " symptoms even though ED doctors have told me that PE's can cause chest pain . Mine is always , as I said crushing or heaviness, they say PE chest pain is sharp and stabbing, If that is indeed the case I haven't had those kinds of chest pains.

• Posted

I had shortness of breath, dizy and My PE was in my lung near my heart. couldnt walk had to stop, I was so short on breath. Im not sure but i think my chest was tight.

My PE was in my lung, near my heart,  Its been since May 18, they say the clot has idsolved, but I am still short on brath and coughting alot.

I weant to a pulmory Dr and he said my breahing test are normal but I still hve systoms. mHe is thinking it is because the right side of my heart is still slightly strained.

This has been a nightmare.

Still on Xarelto!

Has anymore else experienced coughting ?

• Posted

Hi reema,

Yes, mine has only been a dry cough and I think mine is a case of a natural response to try and gain more air to breath when I'm short of breath, not always coughing when short of breath though,

• Posted

I have had 2 PEs with a diagnosed DVT before the first one. The first time I had excruciating pain, the worst of my life, with both the PE and DVT.  The second time, I had no pain whatsoever, just shortness of breath so it really depends on the PE.
  • Posted

My breathing was fine symptoms I had we’re a terrible cough, vomiting, fast heart rate, flu symptoms I could not get out of bed 
  • Posted

Before my PE was diagnosed 1/18/18, the pain was excruciating underneath my rib cage, all along the flank and into my shoulder. I couldn't take a full breath without a sharp pain. Now, I do get occasional sharp pains in my chest that last a few seconds and are many days apart.

I did have a follow CT scan and the 2 clots are gone & no scar tissue was visible, EKGs & blood work all normal. The breathlessness is now gone and I've been able to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes (at 2.0 only) without getting out of breath. But, I still have phantom "nerve" pains on the flank side where my clots were located. I think it takes awhile for the body to heal and I'm just a month on the recovery trail.

Take good care, everyone! Be well.

• Posted

i have a number of shiny new PEs.  

For me I had a stabbing pain that was fairly localized and much worse when I inhaled.   After a few hours the pain went away with shallow breathing and it only hurt to take a deep breath.   But it hurt a lot.

This got a little better each day so I thought I’d feel pretty normal after a week or so.

About three days in I sneezed.   The inhale hurt like hell.   But then the pain went away.   Completely.  I was suddenly able to fill my lungs.

Strange.

• Posted

My PEs were 3 years ago.  Etiology unknown.  I had had a echocardiogram which showed severe pulmonary edema with right sided heart strain.  This carried on for 5 months undiagnosed.  Until I suggested that some docs thought maybe I had a pulmonary embolism.  I had sternal chest pain, severe shortness of breath, couldn't walk 10 feet, nor climb a flight of steps.  Initially when I climbed 14 steps I had  presyncopy and called 911. Also had a feeling of impending doom which is common with PEs.  I had an angiogram and they were stumped as to what was wrong.  Like I said after 5 months they did a pulmonary CT and found out I had hundreds of emboli and now am on warfarin for life.  Have learnt how to regulate my own doses and get weekly INR.  It certainly has been a steep learning curve.  But am thankful for the diagnosis and that this doc listened to me and didn't again tell me again that it was anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.