What shall I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have posted before but basically I have had ongoing trouble with my knees hips back and feet .

i found out I have osteoarthritis in my knees and have had scans etc and I am awaiting steroid injections.

i popped my knee at weekend and have had major swelling pain and stiffness and have been on crutches however it is getting worse I can't get in to see my gp and my back is excrutiating when I stand 😔

i am not a moaner I can usually manage pain but I have had 12 months of feeling fobbed off because I need to lose weight when the resaon I gained it in the first place was an injury that stopped me doing 8 classes of Zumba and dance per week so any advice would be greatly appreciated thank u

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Curliehead,

I wish I had some good advice for you, but all I can do is relate to what you are going through, as I too have osteoarthritis in my neck, knees, hips and feet! The arthritis was worse in my right knee and had TKR 6 weeks ago, but I am just hoping I don't need it on the other knee or hip, but fear I may have to eventually.

As far as the swelling, pain and stiffness in your knee, I can only say to stay off of it and keep icing it and try to get in to see your doctor as soon as possible. This should be considered an emergency, it sounds like to me, especially if your back is hurting so much as well.

As far as our shared osteoarthritis, I've been told there is really nothing that can be done except the injections (which I avoid as well) and low impact exercise to keep mobility. I know you can't exercise right now, but as soon as your knee is better, you can get back to it. Good for you doing Zumba dance! Thats difficult! Right now though, see your doctor!!!! Good luck to you!

• Posted

Do you have a Minor injuries unit at your local hospital?

they could have a look at it and arrange for you to see somebody for follow up.

if not, if you are in bad pain then a trip to A&E is probably called for to rule out joint damage.

• Posted

I went there as soon as I popped it they were pretty useless gave me anti inflamatories told me to see my gp 😪
  • Posted

Hi, with that kind of pain I would go to A&E if your  GP can't see you.
  • Posted

Hello Curlihead! 

I feel very sorry for you because you shouldn't still be suffering like this. I too have osteo arthritis all over the place (so far replacement hip and both knees!) and there's no way you can excercises when it just makes things worse. I used to do aerobics and play badminton but i cant any more. If youre used to regular excercise  and you suddenly stop youre bound to put on weight. I had the injections, but they're only a temporary relief, so if I were you I'd go back to my doctor - or change doctors if necessary - and say that you really can't put up with it any more. 

• Posted

Thanks everyone I had been to a and e at weekend but no better and still can't get in with gp so I am obviously quite angry now  plus I had a job interview and if I get it I want to be pain free or at least have it under control.

i will update tomoz thanks again 😘

• Posted

i think that you may well be overdoing the zumba and your knees are suffering for it. I would rest up more so you can manage the knee problem.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.