what shoe to wear after ankle surgery?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

It is 4 months after my ankle surgery and wondering what type of shoes I could wear.  It is summer time now and I think flat sandals will be the best I could handle. 

Molly

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am 6 month post ankle surgery and I wear only flats or flat sandals.  When I am walking a long distance I make sure I wear my good athletic shoes.  
    • Posted

Hi everyone,

I have just bought 2

pairs of flat sandals (Island and Dee are called)

from Hotter. They are supposed to be comfy and give you support...

Bindu 5, Hoka and MBT have this weird rocking bottom but I am not used to it and don't want to have another fall. But they look nice and colourful.  Maybe will try them on one day when I can go to the shops.

Take care,

Molly

• Posted

I wore MBTs several years ago. They take a little getting used to, but they saved me from repeat heal spurs at the time. I'm four months post talonavicular fusion and I have to stick to athletic shoes most of the time. I'll look into some of these brands of sandles that people are suggesting here. My doctor also suggested that I get Spenco arch supports and they seem to help.

• Posted

My doc said trainers that are classified as stability shoe like aasics or saucony trainers. He does not want me in a sandal yet,as not enough support for the ankle. We have different brands here. I'll try to find those MBT online, what is the full name? What sites do you use for online shopping. I find in Canada we have less selections than other countries.

It would be nice to be in sandals . I have a wedding July 8 and I wonder what I can wear in my feet. Hopefully I'll be rid of the dam boot by then!!!!

💃👠👡Dreaming Of pretty shoes and dancing!!!!

Margie

• Posted

Hi Molly, I'm just over 4months post ORIF ankle surgery. Both my doctor and physical therapist told me that I will need to wear shoes with good support. They absolutely forbid me to wear sandals flats or flip flops. :-( Physical therapists suggested the Hoka one one Bondi 5. I absolutely love them. They've made it so much easier to walk "normal" since they have a rocker bottom, extra cushion, and support. I suspect that what you need may change based on what type of ankle surgery or severity of the break you had.

Good luck!

• Posted

MBT shoes are great - they have rocker soles so easier to walk in. I was wearing them even before my op as they were the only shoes I could walk in with my stiff painful ankle.  I was hoping that after the fusion I'd be able to wear normal flat shoes, but I have a feeling I'll be digging out my trusty MBTs again.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.