What shoes once out of air cast boot.

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI, I'm 9 weeks post ORIF, building up to fully weight bearing and using 2 crutches. Just thinking ahead to when I'm out of boot and wondering about suitable foot wear. I know my days of high heels and flip flops are over for the forseeable future but I don't want to be confined to just trainers particuarly in the summer. Any advice or recommendations? THANK YOU

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there! When i started weight bearing I wore birkenstocks sandels. In and out of the house.

I wore runners mostly out of the house. Today im 21 weeks post ORIF, and prefer to wear them in the house than bare feet.

Hope this helps!!

• Posted

hey Katherine!

I'm 11 weeks out from ORIF and life is pretty much back to normal for me. I started partial WB at 6 weeks and by 8 weeks I was walking in my sneakers! Im driving and walking with no issues or discomfort. Sneakers always feel the best for me but lately ive been wearing sandals and I havent had any issues. I too, look forward to do the days where I will be able to wear heels and wedges! but for now im just taking it easy and enjoying having my freedom back!!! its definitely a slow process but youll get there!

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to respond. In the last week i've gone from barely being able to go 100 yards with 2 crutches to walking with just the air cast boot, although I can't go too far as it makes my legs ache. I've just ordered 2 new pairs of sneakers as it seems I'll be wearing them for a while. Hopefully I'll feel confident enough to wear sandals in the summer.

• Posted

Good to hear that you are making progress. I can walk without the crutches too now, but it kills my knee if I am not careful. I want to ditch the aircast and wear shoes. I don't see the doctor again until the end of the month. How is your leg doing? What shoes did you end up getting?

• Posted

The boot makes my knee and sometimes my whole leg really ache. My PT told me to practice in the house wearing sneakers/trainers and the crutches. Just about managed to wrestle one onto my affected foot - it is still a bit swollen. It felt really odd to start with and I couldn't bring myself to fully weight bare. I'm a bit anxious about going outside in trainers as I'm worried about missing my footing and going over on my ankle - I hadn't really noticed how uneven our local pavements and kerbs are until now. I am going to stick to trainers for the time being and hopefully get into sandals in the summer. I saw some ankle strapping on Amazon and I'm thinking of getting that.

• Posted

I haven't been prescribed any PT yet, so I feel very on my own. I will try practice with sneakers in the house a bit. I feel that the aircast lifts my heel to a bizarre height and my foot feels like a weird fish fin when I try to walk without it. I have two young children, so I have to be careful when I take it off. I've been thinking about an ankle strapping too. I bet it will just add a bit of extra protection. I'd hate to fall outside too! My incision is finally looking good. I'm able to get in the bathtub, though it's not easy or quick. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.