What should I choose

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all I'm asking for advice I'm booked to have Camra put down into my oesophaus next week I've got to decide wether to have throat spray or the light sedation I really don't know what to do because I've had this  done before th first time they couldn't complete the investigations because I gagged that bad  it was to dangerous to carry one yn second time I had it done I explained to the doctor what happened and he gave me more sedation sk they could complete the investigation and do biopsys now  this time I'm seeing another doctor who's going to do it but he mite not  want to give  extra sedation like th first one I had so don't now what to Also my thrist and gullit are very sore I'm a very nervous person so I don't think I would cope with just throats spray 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gillian

Definitely have as much sedation as possible, it's horrendous without it, I've had it done both ways and would never be able to have it again without sedation

• Posted

I was dreading it but found it quite easy, they put the canulla in anyway just in case. Try the spray if no luck have the sedative. Good thing about the spray is the consultant can talk to you about initial findings 
  • Posted

Yes I would have the sedation. I have had both as well and have had 6 of these done. I have the sedation every time now. Best of luck, 
  • Posted

I had the throat spray and it was good for me had no difficulties at all.
  • Posted

I had sedation and spray. The spray was done while I was slightly sedated then I was put to sleep and it was great. Requested propofal! Takes abt. 20 min. Best sleep ever! Felt nothing! Had 5 biopseys done. There's nothing to It! If u have the right doctor there is no gaging! Best of luck

• Posted

When i asked if I could have both I was told no you can only have one of the options I'm in the UK were are you from 

• Posted

Hi Gillian

I recently had the endoscopy and opted for the throat spray and have to say that whilst uncomfortable not what you would class as painful. Advantages are the Dr can talk through the procedure immediately after and then you are discharged and by this time you feel back to normal.

All the best

Robin

• Posted

Since I had been put to sleep for my endoscopy I can tell you it's short quick procedure and when done the doctor comes to see you and I remember everything he said. It's not major surgery,short term anesthesia you come out of quickly! I was freaked too, but believe me it was nothing! Ask for propofal! Not sure if the spelling! Doctor will know! Lol when I came out I felt so refreshed and ready to go! I have had 3 colonoscopy and now this and always ask for propofal! It's feels like you had a power nap!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.