What should I choose? Joint resection arthroplasty (floppy toe) OR Joint fusion.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Suffered for years with arthritis in big toe, both feet. After trying all sorts of treatments finally been offered surgery. My surgeon highly recomended fusion where joint is fused with plate and screw. Two weeks before date of surgery I have change of surgeon and he recomends resection, known as floppy toe, where joint surface and small amount of bone are removed. I have to decide which procedure to have. I would be grateful for any advice. I am an active 61 year old woman. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The best person to help you make inform choice has to be

be surgeon taking all your wishes and concerns into consideration having said that most of this people lack interpersonal skills unfortunately.

You must feel free to ask questions 

• Posted

The new surgeon did'nt seem interested in my concerns. Just let him know on day of surgery he said. Having to do some research.
    • Posted

Oh dear, I don't wish to sound disrespectful to medical profession but really each case is unique and we can only make deduction based on the advice given by the surgeon who has listened to our concerns and taken them into consideration quite frankly I would find another surgeon! I can't praise my surgeon highly enough .
  • Posted

I can't offer advice I'm afraid but am facing a similar dilema for Hallux Rigidus - joint replacement v fusion v continuing with the condition which is tolerable through office life but over 2 or 3 miles particularly on rough terrain becomes very uncomfortable.  I'll follow with interest or would be happy to compare notes.  One of my issues is judging how bad my condition (in both feet) compares to others and what one can hope to do post surgery following what seems to be quite a long recovery period.  I'm 58 and hoping for a hillwalking retirement!
    • Posted

i have had to give up my metafit and Aqua erobics classes due to the pain in feet. I am hoping for the best option to resume these after surgery.
    • Posted

your surgeon sounds as patient centred as mine!  You're not in Derby are you!

I've scoured the internet for a forum to get some info on fusion / replacement and recovery from surgery and it's hopeless.  Fusion seems to be the most reliable and seems to allow a return to activity but takes maybe 6 months to get back to normal

• Posted

Christine, I had the fusion done on both big toes in February.  My surgeon gave me a choice but couldn't guarantee I wouldn't have to have it redone if I didn't choose fusion because I'm flat footed with flexible bones in my feet.  I was golfing in 3 months and jogging in 4 months.  My bunions haven't given me any trouble at all, but the three toes that were also fused are taking longer to be pain free.  I'm 67 years old and was told to start taking vitamin D several weeks before surgery.  My surgeon also told me that he wouldn't do both feet at the same time if I didn't choose fusion.  It seemed like a no brainer to me.  I haven't regretted by decision at all.
    • Posted

Thank you Lynn, that is a great help. I was thinking fusion and your comments sort of confirmed this would be best choice. I did ask about both feet done together, but surgeon said no. I will work on that one again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.