what should I do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I've been taking venlafaxine slow release 150mg for around 10 days, i was on 75mg for 4 weeks. Also I'm on Propranolol slow release 80mg up to twice daily, i was on 40mg x3 daily, so both my medication doses have been upped.

They've worked really well and my anxiety, depression and panic attacks have severely reduced, but today my anxiety keeps spiking, like I've felt panicky on 3 separate occasions today where it feels like I'm going to have a panic attack, I've been cleaning like mad to try distract myself and its worked but it keeps coming back.

I don't know about upping my doses again, don't even know if i can.

Just looking for advice please.

Danielle

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My experience with effexor slow release is that it took me a while to adjust to increasing the dosage, and I seem to remember some spikes in anxiety that went away. It helped me with anxiety and depression a lot. I was having panic attacks all the time, but did not want to get addicated to a benzo, so it was a good route. My only advice would be to do what you're doing - engaging in things that keep your from focusing on it. Wish you the best and know you're not alone.
  • Posted

I can agree with DougieFresh - it does take a while for things to settle down when you start with a new antidepressant or up the dose. Use your "coping strategies" as you are doing, and stick with it would be my advice. I assure you, I do know how hard it is, but there is a way through. I take a low dose of haloperidol which controls the panic attacks - I don't think it's a "benzo".
  • Posted

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

I think because I've not had a panic attack, depression or anxious feelings for about 2 weeks now I may be over reacting to the anxiousness I'm feeling now. I knew that this was a possible side effect when i upped the venlafaxine, I think its because i started venlafaxine after coming off of citalopram as i wasn't coping very well on it and the side effects when i changed to venlafaxine were so mild compared that i didn't notice i was still having them, but because I haven't had them for so long I'm noticing them now.

It's just that first initial thought, it disappeared soon enough, it's just scary when it comes on. Thankfully i know the propranolol wont allow me to have a full blown panic attack, but it's still worrying.

Hopefully the anxiousness will disappear again after another few days as I've found venlafaxine does work very well for me.

I have to go see my doctor in 2 weeks anyway so if it hasn't gone by then i will ask for advice. Like i said hopefully it will go soon.

Just got to keep remembering I'm alot better since starting the meds, from panic attacks all day everyday, not eating or sleeping and depressed to zero panic attacks, eating and sleeping regularly and no depression.

Positive thoughts lead to a positive life.

Thanks again and best wishes to you all.

Danielle x

• Posted

Positive thoughts, amen. I remember when panic attacks nearly crippled me. When they started going away, any hint of having one again would terrify me. So I think your reaction is totally understandable. They still come every once in a blue moon for me, and when they do, I just remember "oh yeah, these things do suck, but I've yet to have one kill me, and I guess it won't now, let me just ride it out."

I think peace and happiness are out there for us if we are willing to work for them and believe that they can happen, which they will.

Cheers

DougieFresh

• Posted

Amen indeed DougieFresh, I know what you mean, even the thought of having one is scary enough....I remember only a month back when they crippled me and i was convinced i was going to end up in a lunatic asylum...not a pleasant place to be....It's just frightening the thought of going back to that dark place, where the world just didn't make any sense to me and i began to wonder why everyone else didn't see it the way i did, i felt like screaming at every person i saw on the street so they would realise...I didn't get to that stage thankfully, but i came very close indeed.

Thanks again, and i hope one day you can be in the place i am and almost be over them....Just a few more hurdles to jump yet.

Danielle x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.