What should I do about my new job?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, 

I had contemplated leaving my organisation, but stayed since a promotion was both more secure and easier to obtain. This is my 5th job, with my previous job being the most comfortable, and my colleagues were like my second family. Which I have never experienced before. 

My new job, whilst still very early days, doesn't seem the right fit for me. I wanted to leave the organisation because of the corporate culture, and the mundane 9-5 sitting behind a desk with my head in multiple spreadsheets. But instead I've climbed further up the corporate ladder, with kind but focused university graduates, of which I am not. 

I wake up early every morning, anxious of the day ahead. I go home anxious of the next day. I finish the week anxious over the weekend for Monday. Usually I feel more at ease after my first week, more confident than my first day at least. But not here! 

My old team are happy to have me back, they've said as much to me. But, I also feel a drastic change in career is needed. But that leads to more uncertainty. 

I will give it more time, but if nothing improves, what should I do?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi

Although you enjoyed working with your colleagues in your old job you obviously didn't enjoy your job because you were thinking of leaving.

It seems to me that you are doubting yourself and lacking in confidence because you haven't got a degree and your new colleagues have. Your employers must have thought you could fit in your new role otherwise they wouldn't have given it to you.

Just because they have degrees doesn't mean they can do the job better than you. No doubt you have experience because you have worked your way up the ladder. I am sure they admire that just as sure that you have certain knowledge that they don't have. You have said that they are kind so perhaps that is a show of respect they have for you.

I've worked in education, I was in admin and I have a degree but some of the tutors I respected didn't have a degree and in my opinion were some of the best tutors there. I respected them a lot because they had the knowledge and fortitude to do their job.

If you know you can do your new job and you enjoy the work then do it to the best of your ability and make friends with your new friendly colleagues.

Stop doubting yourself, you are just as capable as your new colleagues, make friends with them and keep in touch with your old colleagues too.😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.