What should I do to get rid of my back pain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I've been having extremely bad lower back pain. It doesn't happen often but my lower back just goes and I can't stand up, in pain, can't bend down. I'm a 19 year old girl and it's happened 3 times so far so I'm a bit worried as to why. I'm also a street dancer so I don't want my back to be seriously injured for me to not do dancing. Any advice? Should I see a doctor? Thankyou.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's a shame you didn't see a doctor the first time. But you really need to see a doctor this time. Especially since you're a dancer. The doctor will probably do an x-ray but hopefully you can also convince him if the X-ray doesn't show much to do an MRI. That's to make sure nothing serious is going on. Then he should send you to a physical therapist. The physical therapist will just give you exercises that you can do to help strengthen your core muscles which since you're a dancer you probably already have pretty strong core muscles. But the PT can help you with your balance and teach you how to do things that will not put your back out. An example that I can give of that is when my back was getting worse I couldn't pick up my grandson who was just a little bit of a toddler and small for his age. Well my PT explain to me that if I have him climb up on the couch and I pick him up from there rather than from the floor I'm less likely to injure my back again. So that's the kind of help that a PT can give to you. You sure don't want this to get worse. I've lived with horrible chronic back pain for 13 years.

• Posted

Thanks a lot for the great advice I'll take it into consideration and go see a doctor or my GP. x

• Posted

Hi, being so young and having sharp acute pain I would definately seek Dr Advice and going to see a chiropractor as in some of my early stages through sport my back needed alignment. As you dance your body will move in ways it may not be naturally used to. Worth a visit to both. Good luck x
    • Posted

Thanks a lot for the great advice I'll take it into consideration and go see a doctor or my GP. x

• Posted

Your welcome. I was put onto this forum by a good friend and it has already given me some hope that there are solutions for our conditions. I hope it's just about getting some readjustments to your posture and lower spin. Chiropractic has been excellent in the past when I was much younger. Get in there early to get back to health. Best wishes X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.