What should I do with an ankle that has never healed

Posted , 6 users are following.

So about 9 years ago when I was in 5th grade(10 yrs) I sprained my ankle by tripping over a tree root and having someone fall on it. I went to a clinic and they told me nothing was wrong, just that it was sprained. They insisted that I didn't need crutches because it wasn't that bad, but I got them anyways just to be safe. It stopped hurting for a long while.

?Then I joined track in 6t grade and 8th and that's when my ankle would give out on me in the middle of the run, but I didn't think anything of it because it only happened then. I gave up track going into high school because of that issue. Only at random moments through out the years would my ankles give out on me while randomly walking.

?Now here I am 9 years later, and out of nowhere my ankle is hurting enough to annoy me but not in excruciating pain and keep giving out on me more than usual. I don't know if that means I need to at least go and get it check just to be safe or if it is okay and that is just the consequence of the accident. 

?I'm thinking I probably didn't let it fully heal so now it is coming back to haunt me.

?Any advice?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear Diamond

I'm so sorry to hear about your concerns over your ankle. I would see your doctor ASAP and keep pushing until you have some satisfactory answers and then push for a good resolution. If at any time you are not happy with what you are being told ask for additional opinions.

Good luck, Richard

• Posted

Okay, thank you Richard! I think I am definitely go and get a doctors opinion to make sure nothing is wrong with it. Appreciate the advice.
  • Posted

Hi.

Sorry your having a rubbish time with you Ankle.

The giving way thing that you have describe does sound similar to what I have experienced over the years. Do you get any pain in your ankle prior to it giving way?

Like Richard said I think you should really speak to your Dr as soon as you can.

Let us know how you get on and I hope things improve for you. 

Claire. Xx

• Posted

Yes I do experience pain, on a scale from 1-10 it would probably be a 4. Not the worse pain but it has been going on for a few weeks now non stop, on and off throughout the days (buckles when I sprint down the stairs or just randomly walking) 
  • Posted

Dear DiamondNicole,

I think your intuition is telling you something that you best heed. Yes, it is likely your ankle never fully healed after your sprain in elementary school.

You subsequently engaged in track sports activities in 6th and 8th grades-- that would not help a compromised ankle.

When you say your ankle 'is giving out on you' I assume you mean you mean it becomes too painful or uncomfortable to continue your activities, not that it is rolling over or buckling on you.

I agree with previous posters that you need to get expert professional attention for ankle right away. Even if, hypothetically, your unhealed tissues (ligaments, tendons, etc.) are behind your symptoms it is not too late to start treating them so they don't progress to something worse later in life.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

• Posted

Yes, when I say give out it buckles and then the pain follows. I think the best option for me is to go to the doctors and get their opinion, since it has been about a month it has been causing me problems. Thank you for the advice!
    • Posted

Good on you for taking a first step to resolve your perplexing problem-- working with a good professional to scope out what ails you and following a treatment plan.

Meanwhile, it might be entirely beneficial to go out and buy a decent ankle brace to take some stress and strain off your poor ankle. It could pay dividends in future in form of less damage to mitigate later.

Please stay on course with the problem and don't get distracted or unfocused by everyday life stuff. Your unhindered natural mobility is worth fighting for.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.