What should I expect immediately after surgery and then at home?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, I have a Cyst...I really large one.  Actually a huge one that will require a full midline incision going from below the chest bones, all the way to the pelvis. 

Before anyone wonder how that happened.  I really have no idea because I had no pain.  I just though after I turned 40, its harder to keep weight off.  (I am 43 ).

So I have a mass, that will need to be removed an ovaian "mass" that may or may not be cancerous.  The oncologist said, it must be removed "whole" and can't be drained.  It is suspicious.  So, while he there, I will re-situate all of my displaced organs (caused by this mass), fix my displaced bladder (probably dropped after hysterctomy, remove the hoards of scar tissue and adhesions formed after 3 c-sections and hyster, and he will be removing the ovaries and fallopian tubes, which will send me right into menopause

I realize I don't "need" my ovaries or tubes" what with no uterus and all, but I am seriously worried about the surgery itself (being such a large incision, moving all the parts back to where they should be, and then, surgically induced menopause, on top of not knowing whether or not I actually have cancer (until 10 days later).

So I would really like to know anyone's experience with a midline laparotomy, as well as going straight into menopause.  I have know idea what to expect.  But, I am told the surgery will take about 2-3 hours.  I am trying to prepare myself.....because I don't even know how I am going to get around once I get home.  Heck I could barely move after c-sections....

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I  don't know the answers to your questions as I am a few steps behind you with only an expected large cyst and an appointment Thursday for scans.

Just wanted to say good luck and I wish you well. Please update the thread xx 

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

First of all I'm sending you a huge hug. I had a 23cm dermoid on my right ovary that was growing pretty fast. I didn't know about it because I had no symptoms at the time and they only found it because I thought I had food poisoning. It pressed onto my other organs and attached itself.

My scar runs from the top of my belly down (so not as big as yours will be). Healing for me was easier than c section cut but still the same - can't do much sad

I hope your op goes well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.