What should I try now?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi

I was on mebeverine for about 6 months and am unconvinced it had much impact on relieving my IBS symptoms; 3 months in of taking 3 tablets a day and I was still doubled over in pain with a hot water bottle on my abdomen and on one day a month I was even being sick with it. My doctor encouraged me to perservere but I couldn't understand why I would be experiencing such levels of pain if the tablets were actually working.

I have been off mebeverine for 2 weeks now, and although I was fine the first of those weeks, these last 7 days have seen a noticeable increase in the frequency and intensity of my stomach pain. Am wondering whether the mebeverine was actually working :roll: ! Although I am selling my house at the moment which I doubt is helping my stress levels so that could be something to do with it! :lol:

Anyway, I would like to know whether anyone can recommend any other medication that I might try before I consider going back to the mebeverine. My main symptom is pain in my lower right abdomen; I have mild alternating diahorra and constipation. I am thinking of trying Buscopan (can I buy this off the shelf/over the counter or do I need a prescription for this?) - any thoughts? Have tried peppermint tablets before but again difficult to assess whether they helped at all.

Thanks! :D

T.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Although my IB is not painful at the moment I do swing from constipation and diahorria I have been on fybogel for months with not much success. Then a dietition suggested I tried Normacol granules and wow they are great. You can buy them over the counter.

Well worth a try.

Liz

• Posted

I used to take mebeverine - and it did work for me. However, I've now been given Buscopan. Don't really know if it works well for me yet, but the doctor's seem to think it is a better option. I get it onprescription - don't know if you can just buy it, but I'm sure you won't get as much for your money over the counter as on prescription. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi ALW

Thanks for replying. I opted for Buscopan in the end, which it seems you can buy off the shelf/over the counter and it sure is that much more expensive :shock: ! Maybe I will see how I go and if it seems better then see if my Doctor will prescribe me that instead of Mebeverine, although I have to say he's been pretty insistent about the mebeverine rather than trying something else ... :evil:

Been taking Buscopan for a few weeks, I have definitely improved since the time I wasn't taking anything that is for sure. Still get symptoms sometimes, but I am having to learn that taking tablets doesn't mean you can stressed and expect there to be no symptoms ... :?

Thanks again for your comments

T.

• Posted

Hi,

A friend of mine recently told me about a new probiotic called symprove.

I started taking it a few weeks ago and already have seen a massive change. Best thing is it is totally natural and I don't feel any of the side effects I used get on some of the drugs. You can get it online as not sure it is in the shops yet.

Definitely worth a go.

S.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.