What should my doctor check next? Muscle & Joint pain, raised CK, low Vit D.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been suffering with joint and muscle pain for over 6 months. It started in my feet and back, now is worst in my wrists and feet. I'm also having issues with muscle weakness and fatigue. I went to get blood tests done and after finding low Vit D, my doctor sent me away and told me to take supplements and do some sunbathing. Not feeling happy about this percieved fob off, I went to see the Nurse practitioner who decided to also check my calcium and creatine kinase levels. My CK is raised 256 iu/l but my calcium is normal. All other tests done were normal, Hb, LFTs, Thyroid, Rheumatoid factor.

I've been asked to go back to see a GP so I'm going this afternoon. What I'm hoping someone can help me with is whether there are any other tests I shoukd asking for? The pain in my wrists is quite disabling, for example I dropped an empty coffee cup this morning as I got a sharp stabbing pain when I twisted my wrist slightly sideways. Also my feet are very stiff and painful especially after rest. My muscles feel really week and it seems to take nothing to get a strain, my back muscles in particular seem very succeptible to this. I also have no stamina in my muscles and get fatigues easily.

Thanks everyone.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would ask to be referred to a rheumatologist who will do more extensive testing but I am wondering if you may have fibromyalgia?
    • Posted

Thanks, I will try to get some sort of follow up as have a different GP today than before. I guess Fibro is a possibility as I have had mental health problems for a long time and I know there's a link in some people. Unfortunately Drs seem to misunderstand the difference between diseases worsened by stress and phantom 'psychosomatic' symptoms. I also have IBS and eventually stopped seeking help for it as I was fed up with the infences that my symptoms were made up. I've been ignoring this pain for a long time in the hope that I wouodn't be told "it's just stress" I hope the Dr takes me seriously this time. Thanks for your reply.
    • Posted

Hi Ali, I was fortunate to have a good dr who has known me for a long time so when I did fall ill, she knew something was wrong. All blood tests were ok other than my cholestrol and I had high BP. I have severe arthritis plus fibromyalgia and degeneratine disc disease and now I'm hypothyroid so it was just one thing after another. Yes, I too suffered with ibs but now have severe constipation. Hormones are a nightmare. Good luck in getting a proper diagnosis and treatment 
    • Posted

I have constipation variant IBS, have had it since childhood. I discovered prune juice recently, can't believe I haven't tried it before it's like magic! I have a small glass on a completely empty stomach first thing in the morning, works a treat smile
    • Posted

Yes, prune juice works well. I have started taking magnesium and am hoping this will help me but so far not good rolleyes
    • Posted

Had a great GP today, new to the surgery so perhaps she hasn't been taught how to fob people off yet, ha ha! First of all she quadrupled my Vit D dose, then she sent me straight for an urgent xray of both wrists and she is going to refer me to a Rheumatologist, hooray! Now fingers crossed it IS only the Vit D. Thanks again. P.S. She thinks I have Fibro too but hopefully she's wrong wink
    • Posted

Just remembered something I wanted to ask, forgot to ask Dr. I don't usually like taking painkillers but she said she wanted me to take some to stop the pain becoming chronic? If it is Fibro, what do you think would be best? I know it's not good to take too many ibruprofen and I can't take aspirin as I'm asthmatic. That leaves paracetamol only I think as I don't want to take codeine. Do you think paracetamol will work or should I go back do you think and get something on prescription? I think a lot of my pain comes from muscles spasming and I've read that muscle relaxants are often prescribed for Fibro, are they addictive do you know? Sorry to ask and fine if you don't know or don't think appropriate to advise. Thanks again.
  • Posted

I left another comment, hope you can read it.

I would get an MRI of the back. Get some Valium before as it can cause claustraphobia.

Sounds like your nerves are being pinched.

Poor thing, I hope you get some help. Sometimes you have to get pushy. Keep a medical journal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.