What size before intervention?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've got two kidney stones, one in each kidney and they are being monitored. A recent ultrasound showed that they were now 10mm and 6.4mm  So far I have had no symptoms, but  am a little concerned about this new measurement of 10mm.   Is there a size when intervention, e.g. lithotripsy, becomes more likely?

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    I expect that if you are symptom-free, nothing will happen until the stone(s) pass or they start to cause you trouble.

    The best solution would be for them to pass naturally but if that doesn't happen, and you're having problems then the intervention options will be considered, with the least intrusive option coming first (lythotripsy). If that won't shift it, then they will have alternatives to use depending on what's best for you.

    Keep drinking lots to a) try to shrink the stones or b) prevent them from getting bigger and c) to try to flush them out.

    Good luck.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi. I would really recommend that you see your doctor and try to get the stones removed. At least you're not in pain now and can opt for the lithotripsy. They tend not to use this procedure if your in pain. If you escalate the issue now than later then your in a better position to choose treatment for the stones. The chances are that they will try to get out and then you will incur a serious pain issue. Best of luck. Fellow kidney stone sufferer
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi my Urologist removes stones larger than 5 to 6mm. It can also have to do with the location in the kidney, any infections, hydronephrosis, obstruction, pain, and of course if they decide to move and the Urologist. I had ureterscopy and my stones were lasar blasted and I was to past little fragments and a stent placed for 1-2 weeks. Mine went a little different but I won't go into that. Your 10mm stone may need removed because if it decides to move passing a stone that large could cause a lot of pain and trouble for you. The 6mm depends on your dr and since it's in the other kidney he/she could wait and watch it still or address it later. I don't know these are just my opinions, going off my Dr, and what I see on the kidney stone group. What dr is ordering your scan your primary or urologist? Good luck
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Thank you all very much for your replies.  Thankfully, I don't have any symptoms, but I take your point, Saj123 and Heather63016 that it might be better to have them, or at least the larger one, removed now.  I will be seeing my urologist again in a few weeks and will discuss this with him.  Thanks again.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I would think  they would go for lithotripsy for the 10mm and then just get the 6 too. I have a 6 and several 4 and 5 and 3 etc. I am hoping they blast it all to sand. 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up