what sort of arthritis

Posted , 8 users are following.

I suspect I have arthritis (painful joints, all of them!) but does it matter whether it's osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis, and is there any treatment for either of them apart from painkillers, which I don't want to take? In other words, is it worth bothering to see my GP and get a diagnosis, or shall I just carry on exercising as much as possible and hope for the best?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sue...yes there is a lot of difference between Osteo and Rheumatoid.  I only Osteo, and thank that I do, or those I know who do have Rheumatoid/Psoriatric, they certainly seem to have a ot more pain than I do....I feel that mine is more like Over wearing of joints ;however, those with the other forms (and there are many other forms), from how they express their pain, it is certainly more debilitating, and if I had their symptoms, I would Certainly need Pain-killers/meds, as it can affect other organs s well as joints.  I do take meds, expecially when my joints become Very sore in the colder months, and use of these joints (eg typing) can become quite and issue...I wear special Arthrites Gloves...us strapping (sports tape),and make plenty use of Hot Packs, and Arthritic Creams massaged into joints. When I find that these are not enough, I use NSAIDS   (voltaren and when unbearable, have to take Endone)....if I don't, I'm not an easy person to be around, as I become quite ANTSY/SNAPPY, and to be truthful, I don't think that is fair on those who have to be around me.....Perhaps you can confirm your diagnosis by having some x-rays/blood tests, and then decide from there which way you want to go.....Bron
  • Posted

Knee replacements are no longer being considered a good option. PRP is the latest technology. It is harmless as is the injection of your own white blood cells, plasma.
  • Posted

In the UK NICE does allow PRP but only under very special conditions. Their investigation into the effectiveness of the treatment makes interesting reading especially as I have has 2 joint replacements 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.