What supplements to take for hypothyroidism

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

So in my previous post I talked about my full medical story and the trouble with doctors diagnosing me with hypothyroidism because my test results come back "low normal". Anyways, I finally found a doctor that is listening to me and agrees with me. He started me out on Armour Thyroid about 3 months ago on a really low dosage of 15 mg. 6 weeks ago he increased me to 30 mg. My TSH used to be normal while my free t3 and free t4 were low, but after starting on Armour, my TSH dropped a lot. Once I increased to 30 mg, my latest results show that my TSH is now below the reference range... is this normal? With the increased dosage, my free t3 slowly raised but my free t4 hasn't raised at all. I'm waiting for a call from my doctor to see if he is going to increase my dosage again. 

I know there are a lot of supplements out there to help with thyroid issues such as B12, Adrenal support, Zinc, Iron, Magnesium, Selenium, Probiotics, Proteolytic enzymes, and Iodine. Those are the one's that I have heard that help with different symptoms caused by hypothyroidism. Does anyone know what supplements I can take and how many different kinds I can take while on Armour? I plan on asking my doctor, but I want other hypo patients opinions on what works for them. 

Thanks! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I sounds to me as though you never needed T4 replacement at all.  A lot of doctors are reluctant to put people on T4 replacement because our thyroid levels change all the time, throughout the day, depending on the time you got tested, foods you eat and even stress.  Being slightly over the normal range, does not mean you automatically have hypothyroidism.  It sounds to me as though your body doesn't want it....  What were your symptoms?  The symptoms of hypothyroidism are so similar to many, many other conditions, even just the normal aging process, vitamin deficiency's, or just eating unhealthy, with all processed foods and sugars.  I'm sorry if this not what you wanted to hear.  A good doctor would have just kept an eye on it first and then if your TSH is consistently high over a period of several test, and based on symptoms, only then diagnose you with hypothyroidism.  It sounds as though you only had one test that was slightly high TSH? 

• Posted

I have been to several doctors and had several tests. I’m 18 which I know hypothyroidism tends to be in woman of older ages, but all my symptoms point to it. I had my gallbladder removed in 2016. No gallstones, functioned fine, we just know it needed to come out. I felt better, but then other issues started. I have always eaten healthy. I excessive regularly. I’ve never been overweight, but I did lose 30 pounds from my gallbladder. I was very happy with the weight loss, but then out of nowhere I gained almost 15 pounds in the span of a month or two. Keep in mind, I was eating healthy, but still barely eating because of my symptoms - severe constipation (we’ve tried nearly everything and nothing helps.), acid reflux/Gastritis, nausea, extreme fatigue regardless of how much sleep I get or how healthy I eat, very sensitive to cold, brain fog, and it runs in my family. My symptom list can go on but those are the top issues. I don’t WANT anything to be wrong with me. I’m not a hypochondriac. But I do know I don’t feel normal and my symptoms aren’t normal and I want answers. Everything had pointed to hypothyroidism and even though I’m “slightly above the normal range”, those levels should have been in the upper third quartile, not at the borderline of normal and abnormal. 
    • Posted

Well.. we can rule out symptoms of aging, being your only 18.  I also wanted to mention about your T3 and T4.  They will never always be in the upper 3/4 range, as you mentioned.  Your pituitary is always sending out different signals in which to raise or lower your T3 and T4 as needed.  So, the T3 and T4 levels always be different, depending on what your pituitary is telling your thyroid to do.  Anyway, you may very well be hypothyroid, as it's more common these days.  I would say that your next step, to rule out thyroid disease, would be to get the thyroid anti-bodies tests done.  The test are called the Tgab and Tpo antibody test.  This will tell you if you have or may possibly come to have, hypothyroidism.  It test for Hashimoto's disease, which is the leading cause of hypothyroidism in developed countries.  Remember.. hypothyroidism is just a symptom itself, caused by another primary cause.  Also.. I would ask your doctor to test your Vitamin D level too.   Vitamin D deficiency is very common these days, up to 75% to 80% of the population.  It has all the same symptoms as hypothyroidism, even weight gain.  I'm sorry to hear that your not feeling good.  At 18, it sounds like there is definitely something on.  Make sure your doctor stays with it and continues to keep running other test.  If you feel your doctor is not listening to you, find a new one, as your the one who has hired him and you have the power to fire him too.  It's no way to live, feeling horrible every day.  I hope my reply helps and at least points you in the next direction...  You know your body the best, always listen to your instincts..

• Posted

Thank you for your help! I know I’ve been tested for antibodies and once again, nothing came back abnormal. Thankfully, I finally found a doctor who listens and is extremely helpful through this whole process. He tested my pituitary gland to see if anything came back abnormal. Once again, those results seemed to be normal. My gastro wanted me to have a colonoscopy last year but after losing insurance, I can’t afford it right now. My endo wants to run more tests on my pituitary gland, the next one being an MRI. He understands I can’t afford that right now as I’m self-paying, which is why he’s willing to try trial and error with the right dosage of the right medications. At my next appointment I’ll ask if I can have my Vitamin D levels tested as well. Thank you so much for for all your advice and support! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.