What Symptoms Before Surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

Could anyone that has had surgery for gallstones please tell me

what symptoms you had to make you want your gallbladder removed ?

I'm not getting too much in the way of pain at the moment.

Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This list is just about in the order my symptoms happened.

Started with loss of appetite. I just wasn't interested in food. My appetite has now returned.

I was very tired. Since having gallbladder removed, I've more energy.

I had night sweats. They stopped as soon as I had cholecystectomy.

I felt generally unwell but nothing specific enough to bother a doctor. I feel bitter now than I've done in years five months post surgery.

I started getting diarrhoea within minutes of eating accompanied by cramps. This would only happen once, then not recur. Nobody else in house had this, so couldn't work out what I'd eaten to cause it. It was purely the fact that I'd eaten that was causing it- usually something fatty.

Severe abdominal pain which went on for up to four days during which I couldn't eat or sleep. I can only compare it to labour pain, but without the respite between contractions. It was totally exhausting.

Nausea, though was never actually sick. Many people are very very sick.

I can't understand why anyone would want to hang onto a sick gallbladder once they start getting symptoms. It is very risky: jaundice, sepsis, gallbladder rupture, peritonitis, blockages in bowels, liver and pancreas from migrating stones, etc. In my case they found cancer. This is very rare in U.K. Luckily it was at an early stage and I had a liver resection five weeks post cholecystectomy. I will need to be monitored for five years.

My advice is, once you have symptoms have the gallbladder out.

• Posted

I frequently had pain, like awful heartburn, under my right ribs, going round the back to my shoulder blade on the right side. I often felt nauseous. I would also get sudden awful bloating that could last from a few hours to a few days. It was all pretty miserable.

I had my gallbladder removed last Friday and I am already so glad. The pain hasn't been too bad, because I was so often in pain before. The bloating from the gas injected in has pretty much gone. My incision sights are still sore, especially when I cough, but that is only to be expected. I have been able to go for a number two every day, apart from the day following surgery. I have had no nausea, and have an appetite.

• Posted

Hi, I started with IBSD constantly, then 2 mthsd later reflux chronic all day, had to restrict so much food to control symptoms I have lost 14kg and almost underweight.

I   now also have nausea,gas, rib achiness, stomach pains and bloating.

• Posted

Thanks everyone.

Seems like I am getting symptoms but have been putting it down to

other things !

I do get bad gas pain and diarrhoea after eating , which I thought was IBS.. I've got right rib pain,

feeling bruised. Upper back ache. Bloating on and off.

Good appetite but scared to eat because of the pain it causes after.

I eat low fat .Does this sound about right to have it removed ?

• Posted

Linda,

We can't make a decision for you.  If you retain your gallbladder the symptoms will get worse--but remember that they are symptoms of the disease process continuing in your body.  Your gallbladder won't get better.

• Posted

hi there, mine was removed as had no choice,was in agony like a stabbing pain,continuous, i stuck it for 3 days,   rushed in to hospital stone was stuck in gall bladder entrance, they removed all, up to that had no syptoms at all, all best, terry
  • Posted

Hi,

I probably had symptoms on and off for years which I just put down to other things or leant to live with. In the few months before I found out I had gallstones I became more and more unwell: an awful gnawing soreness that could last for days, trapped wind, acid reflux and very sluggish bowels. I agree with the other comments that the longer you leave it, the worse it gets 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.