What symptoms to except?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I am a 36 year old life-long heart patient with a bi-cuspid aortic valve (unoperated), moderate stenosis, a murmur, and a recently diagnosed ascending aorta aneurysm (4.0).

I have known my entire life that eventually I need to have open heart surgery and am fine with the six month monitoring, as I understand when my condition worsens they will operate. This news however is still shocking and I am afraid. My mother passed after her seventh heart attack and multiple other cardiac issues, but this never was on our radar before. Can anyone tell me what type of symptoms you experience? It would ease my mind greatly to know I am not alone.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have an ascending aortic aneurysm measuring 5.3, just diagnosed about 10 weeks ago after a single episode of tachycardia (220 bpm). I am very tired by early evening and am out of breath after just going upstairs in my house. I am feeling small pains and twinges in my left chest. I got a second cardiac surgeon opinion who agreed that it's appropriate for women to have surgery at 5.0 due to our smaller anatomy, rather than 5.5cm other doctors wanted to go by.  Also, my aneurysm is more than twice the diameter of the rest of my aorta, another criteria for surgery. I'm having an angiogram tomorrow to rule out other issues, and surgery is October 9th. The stress of wondering if this thing could be starting to rupture every time I feel pain in my chest is almost over! Holding tight to my faith.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.