What test can identify the germ (s) causing prostate infection?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a history of acute infectious prostatitis say about every 5 years or so. I get a Dre with hurts like bloody hell and after a week or 10 days with antibiotics it has always gone away. The latest bout started 3 years ago and has only gotten worse. I did get a fusion prostate biopsy 6 months ago after an 3t MRI which showed scores of 4 and 5. A different radiologist read it as twos and threes but I had to go with the first Radiology report because you don't fool around with cancer. Of course the fusion biopsy showed zeros across the board. I have had several Dr he's over the past two years and none of them hurt anywhere near what I would have expected for an infected prostate like I have had in the past. But the pain is been so bad the last week I finally had a d r e a week ago and again it hurt like bloody hell. So the urologist put me on doxycycline. I asked him if we could sample the prostatic fluid to try to identify the pathogen and he said they didn't do that anymore. the pain has spread to both sides a joining the prostate in the last year and I wonder if the vas deferens or epididymal areas may be infected as well. is it true that they no longer test prostatic or seminal fluid to identify a specific pathogen? I wonder if I may have something where Cipro or some other antibiotic would be more effective treating. I started calling it prostate pain three years ago because that was what I was experienced with and that's what it felt like. Now I can call it that again because of my latest Dre. I'm scheduled to see the urologist again next Thursday but I imagine he'll give me the same answer. The doxycycline is not helping and the pain is getting too severe to ignore. So I scheduled a visit with my primary care doctor on Monday hoping that he might have better answers. I felt like a fool the past couple years because I had to quit calling it prostate pain when the Dre's showed my prostate wasn't painful assuming that they did them correctly. I also recently found out that the urologist who did my cystoscopy 6 or 7 months ago neglected to tell me that my enlarged prostate was squeezing the bladder to the point where he described it as the sides were kissing. He never mentioned that and it was up to a more competent colleague to point that out to me when I asked. So he started me on proscar and finasteride a month ago. my urine stream has been steadily weakening the past three years and my private theory was that the urine was backing up into my prostate and irritating or infecting it. Especially now when I found out that my urethra was so severely constricted as it passed through the prostate. Does anyone have any comments suggestions or ideas? Especially concerning whether it is possible to test prostatic or seminal fluid for pathogens or germs. Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Damn phone where I said 'dr he's' I meant 'dre's'

• Posted

I had Prostatitis for 7 years and everything was sore and had numerous A/B's some having to go to hospital daily for 28 days. On 1st May had my Prostate removed as there was Cancer there as well, and had no pain since, did have some A/B's after as I think some infections may have been disturbed during removal.  Many on here said not to have Prostate removed, but I don't regret it so far.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.