What tests do doctors conduct before prescribing flecainide

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Does anyone know what tests are dne before prescribing flecaninde. The side effects are quite serious if given wrongly?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

NO tests were down when  I was given it 2 years ago.    I had a new episode of AF about 2 years after ablation done and triggered by a medical test.    I had never been given flecanide before when I had AF.       I was disappointed to go back on a load of meds but then I also know I am only just controlling the AF and still have episodes for which I have additional flecanide as and when which saves me going to hospital.      I note the prescription talks about it being administered IN hospital but that was NOT done in my case.      What particular side effects are you referring to.     I have personally not been well whilst on it and got weaker and weaker but then of couse don't know for sure its the flecanide!   Just suspcious. 

• Posted

OK sorry to alarm you but my duaghter passed away while on flecanide. She had an underlying condition that doctors weren't aware of and  that was exacerberated by the flecaninde. If she had a heart MRI they have seen this. She got weaker after she started the medication and they didn't do more invasive tests.

I'm very sorry to alarm you. 

• Posted

I just let what you wrote sink in. that's freaking horrible to read! I am so sorry that happened to her! I hope you sue them to hell and back or do whatever it takes to get closure...

• Posted

Theautumn, After I had been having near fainting spells for many years then suddenly had a complete fainting episode I was referred an electrophysiologist (a cardiologist who specializes in the "electrical system of the heart"wink After reviewing my records done by my regular cardiologist he knew immediately what my problem was..  "" A cell in your heart sometimes mis-fires causing fainting or near fainting"". He prescribed Flecainide 50 mg 2xday which did help for a while (probably a year or so). Then, when the episodes began to return he increased the dosage to 100 mg 2xday.. this went on until I changed electrophysiologists several months ago. This new EP  recommended "ablation" to burn the cell or cells causing the problem.  

• Posted

p.s. You asked about side effects......I have gained a lot of weight since starting Flecainide. Also, just feel more tired than I think I should.. of course it could be because I am now 71 yo and just do not have the energy I would like to have. The EP said he thought I would be able to discontinue Flecainide completely after the ablation. We did cut back some but I started having numerous near fainting episodes every day and he prescribed an additional 50 mg to take mid-day which seems to have resolved the fainting. I currently am on 100 mg a.m. and p.m. plus 50 around noon. In addition I am on Eliquis and Atenolol.
  • Posted

no tests. had an ablation and was immediately put on Flecainide so I never knew for a few years if it was the Flecainide or the ablation that had controlled the AFIB episodes. I started having fainting spells about eight months ago. it turned out that Flecaininde had apparently severely reduced my sodium and potassium levels (especially Sodium). I was told to go out and buy some pickles and to salt up in general. I cut my dose down to 50mg x 2/day instead of 100 and found no real increase in AFIB attacks. I did take myself off completely for a couple days, and I could feel the AFIB returning so I finally knew it was the medication not the ablation.
    • Posted

It is good to know that you found out about low sodium and potassium. I have had a lot of muscle weakness, especially in my legs but also  have noticed even in my jaws when chewing. I called the heart doc office and they told me to see my primary doc. (I basically thought it was caused by the blood thinner Eliquis.. so many folks have written on websites that it has the side effect of causing weakness). I will set up an appointment to see primary doc soon. As far as fainting, after the increased dose of 50 mg flecainide at noon I have not had another episode. Before that I  had to stop driving because of the frequency of near syncope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.