What tests will the Endocrinologist carry out?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I have my first consultation with the endocrinolowotsit next month, and wonder if anyone knows what tests they are likely to carry out? The only thing my appointment letter said, was to bring a urine sample?!

Any advice much appreciated :D

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Usually they just discuss your blood results & ask how you are feeling. They may want you to have a scan on your thyroid but, this depends on your results. They keep you on meds for around 18 months but, again this depends on your results. After 12 months my thyroid couldnt be controlled so, i had rai last mon in the hope it will destroy my thyroid. Another thing is whether you have graves or you may just have oveactive thyroid that will right itself once you are on meds. Hope this helps.This is a good forum so feel free to keep posting as we can help & support each other. Elaine.
  • Posted

Hi, Usually they just discuss your blood results & ask how you are feeling. They may want you to have a scan on your thyroid but, this depends on your results. They keep you on meds for around 18 months but, again this depends on your results. After 12 months my thyroid couldnt be controlled so, i had rai last mon in the hope it will destroy my thyroid. Another thing is whether you have graves or you may just have oveactive thyroid that will right itself once you are on meds. Hope this helps.This is a good forum so feel free to keep posting as we can help & support each other. Elaine.
  • Posted

Thanks for that Elaine. My doc said that i had the thyroid anti-bodies present, which indicataed Graves, but i don't really understand what that means exactly. Do they do an iodine uptake test at any point?
  • Posted

Hi, I never had an uptake scan i think it depends on the area you live in or if antibodies dont show up they scan your thyroid to see what the cause of hyperthyroidism is. If you have graves it means that the antibodies present will stay with you even when your thyroid has recovered. Elaine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.