What the heck is going on multiple digestive problems, and now I’m having pain swallowing.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Help......I started feeling nauseous in June of last year. My son was really ill at the time and has since died, so I ignored the nausea for several months, putting everything down to stress. During this time I started to develop other symptoms, I had a really upset stomach, the worst gas, belching and bloating ever, accompanied by alternating bouts of diahreah and constipation. My stools went from very light coloured abundant floaters to very dark greasy stuck to the side of the bowl noxious smelling attrocities. Well, I eventually figured that one out. The IgA test revealed Celiac disease. I went on a gluten free diet and after about 6 weeks my bowel issues sorted themselves out. However, I now have an even more distressing problem. Although I don't suffer from continuous acid reflux into the throat and mouth, (just occassionally) Everyday, I can feel stomach acid washing up into my abdomen with the accompanying bouts of nausea I've become accustomed to.This has gone on for months and is still a daily occurrence, then I started having trouble swallowing, I mean big trouble swallowing, as soon as food hit my mouth the hiccups would start, then i would get a squeezing sensation that travelled into my back, really painful. Also, sometimes it feels like the sphincter between my stomach and throat has closed and food just wont go down. Drinking when this happens only makes it worse and I always end up having to vomit it out.When the spasms start all l can do is wait it out or occassionally if it goes on longer than a few minutes I will make myself vomit to relieve the pain, with the vomit comes thick foamy phlegm with small pieces of undigested food (sorry to be so graphic) I have made an appointment with the doctor but have to wait for another 6 days before I can see him due to the christmas holidays. In the meantime I bought some Nexium over the counter (20mg once a day, probably not strong enough to make a big difference) Well, after 7 days days of taking it, I could eat without hiccups and the spasms had almost stopped, also the food I was eating was going down my throat without much of a problem.However, this evening as soon as I started to eat, it's back, my throat closed up, the spasms came back and the only way to relieve the spasm was to vomit. My dinner went in the bin as I was afraid to eat it. I've just now eaten a chicken breast and hummus and raw carrots without a problem. does anyone have any idea whats wrong with me. The way i'm going I feel Ill never be able to eat in company again as I have no idea whats going to happen when I try to eat,

thank

Denise

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried a food diary to see what other foods could be the problem? Was gastritis mentioned the first time you saw a doctor?

• Posted

thanks for your reply. Gastritis wasn't mentioned, pancreatitis was, however, i did wonder if I had that. Ive upped the Nexium from 20mg daily to 40mg daily yesterday but its 4am now and yet again the nausea is keeping me from sleeping, i just want it sorting.

i think coffee and chocolate might make the sickness worse, I'll try cutting them out.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi,my husband had a similar problem some time back,he had 2 endoscopys. It was some irritation of his esophagus. He literally would have his throat close up on him at times while he was eating and he would choke. I guess it was mostly from a daily aspirin he had been taking. Anyway he was prescribed daily omezopral,sorry if I spelled that wrong. After a few weeks the irritation went away and he could swallow normally again. I have no idea if that's what you have,I just know it sounds a lot what happened to him. I think that med is available over the counter in the states. I hope you find out what is causing your symptoms.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm not taking any medications apart from a statin but I have developed several food allergies over the past few years. i just want it sorting quickly its ruining my quality of life as I'm afraid to eat in front of people for fear of choking .

• Posted

maybe ask to have an endoscopy done,only way to truly know

• Posted

So true,I had so many side affects that I had to quit taking them. They didn't show up for a whole year after I had started the Statin.

• Posted

My dad had to stop statins too because they disagreed with him.

• Posted

ill stop the statins for a while and see what happens. thanks for your replies

• Posted

Doctors will hardly ever admit a satin can cause something. After test after test,my doctor finally took me off of it,although,I would have stopped taking it anyway. 3 months later almost all my symptoms cleared up,some however took over a year.

• Posted

Sometimes Hiatal Hernias can cause this. I have the swallowing problem you describe. An endoscopy can detect this.

• Posted

hi Audrey

thanks for your reply. i hope it is a hernia because i dont like the alternative.

its strange that i dont get symptoms everytime i eat and sometimes when symptoms are present they will subside enough to let me finish my meal if i just relax and take my time. other times i have to actually vomit as food is stuck in my osophagaus and the muscle wont relax enough to let feed pass. eating out is a nightmare.

do you have these symptoms as well.

• Posted

Hi. is your pain immediately after you eat and feels like food stuck in your throat, followed by what feels like spasms which are painful and go into the upper back. its really frightening. i'm not sleeping due the the worry of what it might be.

• Posted

hi denise, have you ever heard of sphincter of oddi . i have been having trouble same as you . the only thing i have found useful is when you cook a meal leave it for some time before you eat and mash most of the foods , when you have calmed down after cooking then microwave it but not to hot , hope this just might help good luck.

• Posted

Hi Anthony

I've spent days on the internet searching for answers but haven't come across this one. If it is this is there nothing that can be done to cure it. . Does this mean you can never eat out with friends and you have to live with the constant fear of pain and and choking on your food. Goodness, sounds a dreadful future, but still better than the alternative I suppose.

thank you for your answer.

Denise

• Posted

Hi Anthony

I've just been looking at symptoms for Sphincter of Odi. I have the nausea, the sweats after eating and the weight loss, but my most distressing symptom is pain directly after eating, like my food cannot move into the stomach and there is a blockage to get past, and it doesn't mention those symptoms. interestingly though i have had raised pancreatic enzymes which have since returned to the very high end of normal range. I am waiting to have a scan hopefully we will find the answer and it will be something we can sort. I've had the nausea since June and the pain eating since October.

• Posted

hi denise ,

call mine the top belly, it is like we have two stomach's , the only way i can describe it is a fold of fat that sits just below centre of rib cage , the Solar Plexus area that the food gets stuck . and sometimes i have regurgitate ( yes i know gross) and feel like i have to do the valsalva movement on myself, good luck denise .

• Posted

Hi denise,

me too . maybe they thought i was trying to sell you something (but i wasn't ) but i haven't had a reason why i've been moderated , i was only telling about something i have read. i will see if this works, medicinal clay, zonulin. it was just about the astronauts on the space station who come back to earth and they lose calcium in there bones (yes i know the bone loss as nothing to do with our problems) but just me but i think the scientist at Nasa .have found a way of repairing the mucosal lining of the stomach. (yes i know i sound like an oddball) .maybe i am .lol but as spock says live long and prosper .lol ha ha ha.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.