What time of day

Posted , 8 users are following.

smile I have read some posts that say they take their prednisone with breakfast. I am taking mine in the evening when I always have a probiotic yoghurt as my last small meal. Does it matter when it is taken? On the box it just says, 'Take three once a day'.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

[quote:03b8eb7586]It has been shown in studies that taking a dose of less than 20mg in the morning has no suppressive effect whilst 5mg in the evening does suppress the early morning activation of the HPA axis.

[/quote:03b8eb7586]

[quote:03b8eb7586]Don't quite know what your GP is hoping to achieve with switching your dose from morning to evening but I hope for your sake your present side effects reduce or even disappear completely either by his suggestion or the reduction in dose.

Very best wishes.

[/quote:03b8eb7586]

Hallo Mrs.O (hope you are impressed with my double quote; it only took 3 tries! ) Eileen and All

I think the idea is that the hypers and the rubber legs that folow taking the Pred. will wear off in my sleep and my \"normal\" spells will conveniently transfer to the waking hours.

I split the time difference yesterday anf took the 10mgs. mid afternoon; tonight I will take it at bed-time. Last night, sleep was pretty good, woke twice but not for long. Legs were a bit stiff just before taking the pills in the afternoon but that's all and it soon went so I felt rather pleased with my second day on 10mgs. Here's hoping.

Eileen; is everyone's HPA the same? I have really wondered if my brain is sending the right signals. Do my adrenals know that they are supposed to be on holiday or are they adding their share to the hype? Perhaps a bit of suppression would be no bad thing if that is the case.

We do keep you busy, don't we? Your lessons are much appreciated and I'm sure we all try our best to keep up.

Back later with any relevant updates. Betty

• Posted

I had a very satisfactory visit with my GP this morning. Satisfactory in more than one way. I presented my diary brought up tp date since changing to taking the Pred. at bed-time. ( a month ago )This has worked wonders or, if not, then something that coincides has made a big difference but there is nothing I can think of. It did not happen all at once but there was a noticeable reduction in the panic/heart thumping/ weakness after two or three days and, with just a couple of \"blip\" days the improvement has been maintained and increased. I am now taking 9mgs and am to continue for another two weeks and then try reducing 0.5 a month until I reach 7.5 then go back.

I was cheeky enough to ask whether the night dose suggestion was a shot in the dark or whether it had worked for another patient. It was and will be stored away for future reference in case someone else reacts like me. We had an interesting conversation about how a body of knowledge is built up. As a teacher this appealed to me and as a patient even more so!

We also talked about what a variable condition PMR is ( no need to tel lanyone on here about that ) and how there are just no rules that apply to everyone. I left feeling really encouraged. Yes, I know. Don't count chikens and remeber there will be more set backs but I do feel I shall get there but, as My doc. said, it will not be quick.

Best wishes to all. Hope those on holiday are having the same weather as here.

I seem to be logged in as \"guest \"again. BettyE

• Posted

Great news Betty! Finding what works for you is so important. Really pleased for you.

Lizzie Ellen :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.