What time of day does everyone take their ven? Think I need to change!

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I have gone from 150mg taken in 2 x 75mg one AM and one PM to taking 225mg once a day in the morning. I increased 3.5 weeks ago and thankfully the side effects (headaches, dizziness and increased anxiety) have almost gone smile

The trouble I'm having atm though is my head feels a bit zappy before I take my ven at 9am and by lunchtime I feel so tired, I've actually ended up napping after lunch for the last 3 days! Then come mid afternoon and evening I'm full of energy and can't sleep until around midnight... the good thing is I'm sleeping right through until 6 or 7 which is fantastic as I suffered from insomnia for 5 years until recently!!

So my question is really what times of day did you find suited you and why? I'm thinking that if I moved to taking before bed I'd have the zaps and tiredness at night and the energy in the daytime?

Thanks for reading smile

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Has it helped with depression yet? I’m 5 weeks on 225mgs and still depressed, tired and have headaches 😟

• Posted

I've just replied to the other post we were chatting on hun. I felt very down when I was suffering with the headaches but feel much better when they subsided. Feel free to pm me if you want to chat xx

• Posted

I am taking 2x37.5 ER tabs, and have found that taking one in the am and one in the pm (aprox. 8am and 8pm) works best for me. For me, it works better than taking both tabs in either the am or pm. Theoretically, it should be the same dosage, but I think everyone needs to find what works best for them. Hope this helps. Cheers
    • Posted

I was taking it in a split dose as it wasn't lasting the full 24 hours but the doctor assured me that on the 225mg dose I wouldn't have the same problem. I think I do but not as severely, when I took 75mg as one dose I had withdrawal symptoms 4 or 5 hours before my next dose was due sad

• Posted

Hello, its still early days for you after your increase. You are probably less anxious now, and so you feel tired as a result of the anxiety you still have. The tiredness should sort itself out over the next month or so. I dont think you can attribute your tiredness, to the time you take your tablet. On extended release, i would recommend you take it as soon as you wake up, rather than have a later set time. A few people on here do this, because the extended release tablet doesnt last for a full 24 hours. For the last 6 or so hours, of the 24 hour period, you have little or no ven in your body, so you want to take it asap when you wake up, to get you feeling good for the day. Possibly why you are tired in pm, as your anxiety has probably gone up a bit, from low amount of ven in you during the am. Most people on anti depressants feel worse in the morning, and gradually get better throughout the day. I think part of the reason for this is the low or no amount of anti depressant in you when you wake up. Extended release will release tbe anti depressant more slowly. So from nothing in you when yiu wake up, it takes a while for enough anti depressant to be released into your body. Thats what i think, it may be all crap, but a lot of people who have been taking anti depressants for a while, seem to work out to take them as soon as they wake up. I take immediate release ven. Take my first one when i wake up around 6.00am, then go back to sleep. When i get up, say 8.00am, because its immediate release, i dont have bad mornings.
    • Posted

Thanks Nigel. Yhdt teLlh makes some sense.  Ok so I take mine at 6;00   When I’m having something to eat.  Mornings I wake up shaky & it takes me a while to feel ok. I’m on 75 ER.  What do you suggest?   Only been on it for a little over 2 weeks. 

• Posted

That’s 6:00 pm dinner time.  My doc really wants me on 150 but I wanted to take it slowly & see how the 75 works for a few weeks.    I’m your opinion am I doing the right thing ?  I’ve heard of the horrible withdrawal from Ben so wanted to keep it as low as possible if I ever have to come off 

• Posted

Hello, its so early for you, ven hasnt had long enough for the effect it has on you to build up. You are taking it early, which i think is best. Your issue is that youve not been taking it for long enough. Its just a matter of waiting. I am good friends with someone on here that had awfull anxiety on waking up, with painfull stomach cramps every morning lasting for a few hours or longer. After about 8 weeks on ven, stomach cramps stopped, still felt shaky, but even thats getting better now. Its only in last 7 weeks ive really improved on ven. It took a long time to get going, 8 weeks or so like my friend. Now the improvements are really significant. I noticed this week, ive improved again. Stick with it, its the best anti depressant ive been on.
    • Posted

Thank you sooooo much!!! I needed to hear this right now.  Yesterday I had an awesome day.  Appetite like normal. Did a TON of housework when I got home from work.  Today I’m ok but no where like yesterday.  

Thank you for your response.  I really appreciate your wisdom on this  smile

• Posted

So morning shakiness is common?
    • Posted

Yes I understand what your saying but I'd rather have the tiredness in the evening. I've always been a morning person and i feel that if I changed to taking it at night then I'd feel more like me again, if that makes sense. I also have a 6 year old who is very lively in the mornings haha! I asked my gp if he would change my prescription so I could take it twice daily as that worked much better for me on 150mg but he said to try taking it when I go to bed instead first. The trouble is I can't take a dose 12 hours late so I'm going to have to take it a little later each day until I get to the evening. That means I'm going to get more head zaps each day!! Grrrr. I'm happy with how much the medication helps, I've been medicated for 15 years and this is definitely the best... once it settles that is! Lol

• Posted

How would I go about switching from taking my ven from 6;00 pm to 6:00 am when I get up  ?  Should I gradually start taking it later in evening until I can get close to the morning hour?  Don’t want any withdrawal effects. 
    • Posted

Rhubarb-That’s good for me to hear right now.  So how long did it take to “settle” for you?
    • Posted

You should be able to delay it a couple of hours a day, without any problems. My timing has been up to 4 hours on immediate released without much effect. I think your tiredness is more to do with the time youve been on your current dose more than anything at the moment. I take immediate release 3 times a day. Its a hassle, but i can feel the difference it makes. Take one in the morming, and an hour later im happy and ready to go. Perhaps taking it at night might work. Its in your system and up to strength for when you wake up. I was on seroxat ectended release for yesrs, took whatever time and it made no difference. When i switched to citalopram extended, thats when i noticed the bad moods in the morning. Are you tired in the morning, or do you feel you cant be bothered ie depressed?
    • Posted

Yes, especially if your anxiety is high, and anxiety is more of an issue than depression. Because its so soon that you have been taking it, perhaps you shouldnt change the timing yet. 12 hours is a long amount of time to change and you will get anxious doing it. Wait a few weeks to see how you get on. Your issue is down to the short period youve been taking it, more than anything else.
    • Posted

I'm tired, I feel very sleepy a few hours after taking them. I already know I metabolize the medication quickly and that's why I get the withdrawal effects so quickly...

I had the same issue with other meds too I'd know within an hour or 2 if I was late taking them.

• Posted

Just checked and it's been 4.5 weeks since my increase to 225 not 3.5

• Posted

I’m 5 weeks on 225mgs but not sure if it’s not working or I need to give it longer?! I still lack energy, motivation and interest in anything. Is quite happily lay in bed all day doing nothing. Still have some headaches and feel very tired. I think I will give it until week 6-8 before making a decision. Do you feel the rise is fully working for you now? 
    • Posted

I don't feel like it's fully working yet but I felt much better once the headaches stopped. I feel a little better each day now too x

• Posted

The trouble is I'm already feeling the effects of it leaving my system when I wake up at around 7 and I take my medication at 9! I didn't take it until 10:30 on Friday morning and the head zaps were awful and didn't stop until after lunch sad I think I'm going to have to split the dose again like I did on 150. So I'm going to speak to my doc again on Monday and ask to try 150 in the morning and 75 in the evening x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.