What time of day is it best to take a reading and can it be affected by the wrong sized cuff?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been asked to keep an eye on this as it is felt may be a correlation with my fits. Unsure when to take it or how many times a day as not told.

Showed 114/46 after just got out of bed but could this be because the cuff is slightly small and ought I to get a larger one?

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

BP is normally higher in the morning. You should take it three times at two minute intervals and use the average reading. Most people seem to check theirs morning, evening and at bed time. 

If you feel that the cuff is slightly small it probably is.

• Posted

Thanks derek and will order bigger one as markings on cuff show is too small, by about 1"
    • Posted

Your cuff is different from mine as the two I have do not have markings.

114 is a good systolic reading but your diastolic figure of 46 is vey low but it will no doubt vary durng the day.

Consultant at the hypertension clinic recently told me that you can never check your BP too often.

If you Google "blood pressure and epiliepsy" you will find a lot of information.

• Posted

Thanks derek will look. Similar time yesterday it was 129/65

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.