What time of day is it best to take Venlafaxine

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am due to start 75mg of Ven. I haven't plucked up the courage yet to start as haven't stopped my Cit yet. thinking of tomorrow. What is the best time of day to take this. I normally took my Cit at 9.00pm as advised by my Dr. but haven't been advsied on this one except wait 24 hours then start. Are you suppose to take this with food too? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Tina

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tina, Venlafaxine can be activating for some people.  You won't know until you try.  I take mine in the morning.  The important thing is that you take it after having eaten something.  This is for two reasons, to avoid feeling nauseous and so that the tablet is absorbed into your system better.

I eat a banana and then take my medication.  If you find you makes you feels drowsy then switch it to the evening.

I wish you well on it.  Gen x

• Posted

It may depend on when is the worst time of day for you. My bad time was first thing in morning, wake up at 4 am feeling desperate, so I take 2 tablets in evening and top up with 1 tablet as soon as I wake (225mg in total). You could time yours for maximum effect when you need it. I agree with advice to take after food.
    • Posted

Hi Pixie, that's interesting about your timing of the meds, I hadn't thought of that.  Do you take your Mirtazapine at night too and at the same time as your Venlafaxine? Gen x
    • Posted

Hi Gen

I take my mirtazapine with the venlafaxine in the evening. It help me sleep, as I'm finding now I'm trying to reduce it. I don't sleep so well the night after I've had the reduced dose. Pixie x

• Posted

Im on 37.5mg twice per day but if i was on 75mg id take it at night. I was on citalaphram a while bk and i took that at night x
  • Posted

Well it depends how it affects you.  If it makes you sleepy then take it in the evening.  I always took mine with breakfast and it was fine.  You won't know until you try it which time of day suits you best.  Doctor probably left it up to find out what is best for you.  I don't think it matters when you take it.
    • Posted

Thank you for all your replies. I'm no wiser, I think the morning after eating something sounds the best to start off with and see how it goes. Hopefully my work will help keep me awake if I get tired. I will start Monday morning, decision made. Thanks again.
  • Posted

Hi Tina I wouldn't take your 1st dose on a work day just in case you have any side effects, especially if you drive or operate machinery, I wouldn't have been able to work those 1st few days I felt incredibly spaced and didn't sleep very well and like you I was coming off another antidepressant ( trazodone) my appetite was non existent. You may have no side effects at all just a thought 💊
    • Posted

Oh dear, maybe Sunday night might be better, as I haven't many citalopram left. So I'm going to have to do it in the next few days. Thanks for your suggestion, the Dr seemed to think as changing from one to another shouldn't take too much of effect. But it's not them that's going through this. I just hope the suicidal thoughts are not too strong.
    • Posted

I will follow your link if you need any support, as It can take several weeks to feel the benefits, things that helped during those first few weeks were making sure you have some structure to your day, with some time out to do things you enjoy doing, push yourself to get out, even if it's a walk in the fresh air, eat healthy little and often if you have too, and plenty of fluids, have you been offered any CBT or counselling they can be incredibly beneficial in addition to your medication. Good luck hope venlafaxine helps you here if you need to offload
    • Posted

Thanks Karen

I'm currently seeing a bereavement councillor on a regular basis and waiting following my assessment an appointment with a psychiatric nurse. I'm not looking forward to any side effects as I suffered quite badly when starting citalopram. I will still be going to work, I try and attend the swimming pool twice weekly but have been finding it harder lately as I can't really be bothered with much. Eating regularly will be hard but I do drink plenty of water. I will keep in touch. Thanks for your help.

Tina

• Posted

Hi Karen

I didn't take my cit on Saturday night, bad day Saturday too, was out in the wind and rain, Sunday ended up scratching my arm getting frustrated and crying ended up taking and the first one at 9pm with cheese and biscuits. Trouble was I didn't sleep that well, felt wide awake but quite relaxed. Felt reasonable at work a bit sickly and occasionally dizzy this morning. So will have to see if I sleep a few hours to night. Don't know if it will take a while for the citalopram to leave my system then see what happens. How you had a good day.

Tina x

• Posted

Hope you managed to snatch a little sleep last night, don't be dismayed if you don't it may take a few days, at least your feeling relaxed during the night. Hope you have support from your occupational health Team, at least while you are changing medications, I'm not sure what your role is but just in case you need support whilst working in the early days

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.