what tips would you give someone that is recovering from prolapse surgery to help them be more succe

Posted , 8 users are following.

As we all know there are many women who have had to have more then one surgery to fix their prolapse. With that being said what little tips could or would you give to someone who is recovering from surgery? Anything that makes it easier or more successful. Even if there is something that made resting seem not so boring where we may want to do things we shouldn't especially for us busy bodies that cant seem to sit still. We all know what the doctor tells us not to do but with all of us going through it we pick up tricks

example of mine I use grilling tongs to pick stuff up when I drop something on the floor while sitting down so I don't have to bend over.

So whats your tricks?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I think my success thus far from my bladder prolapse surgery was : staying put and not rushing my recovery, which meant I did nothing the first 6 weeks but, feet up, walk around house, no lifting., bending, no straining, no vacuuming, no driving, eating healthy , staying away from sick people with colds etc, so I wouldn't get one and start coughing,

After the 6 weeks I took another precautionary 6 weeks and did most of the same. I didn't rush, I took my time and to this day 1 year later I guard my recovery. I'm active but I don't try to do everything in a hurry or I still will not strain either with my bowels or lifting items etc. my recovery is th very important to me.

• Posted

Preop

- Set up your recovery place (water bottle, some snacks, audiobooks, movies, protein bars)

- freeze some meals or buy prepared foods (or both)

- arrange for help and make sure people around you know it will take a lot of time and you will need a lot of help

- I found Sue Crofts book on recovering from Gynaecological surgery to be very helpful

post op

- Get lots of rest and don't rush it.  

- Walk when you feel up to it (took me a month).  Short walks.  Even if you start at 50 yards it's fine, don't push it. Also, Several short walks are much better than a long walk.

I bought a grabbing tool to make it easier to pick things up without bending.  It was helpful but not bending also works.

• Posted

It has been nearly 4 months since my prolapse operation.  Really recommend not doing much at all for about 2 months see diann's response.  It is so important, I was even berated for having the ironing board up when a friend visited soon after my op. So enjoy reading, watching telly and taking it easy.   I have heard some people have had 3 operations, maybe they didn't stick with the rules.  My operation has been very successful so far,  I have been riding my bike and playing tennis 3 times per week for the past month or so.  I feel healthy (I am 70 yrs of age) and have always been an active person.   It will take a few more months I am sure for the healing inside to be 10/10 as far as sexual activities.  Like anything to do with cut and sew,  be patient. I am sorry for young women to go through prolapse as it must be difficult with small children, housework and a demanding lifestyle. My doctor recommended  doing pelvic floor exercises but I rarely do any now.  So keep up with the pelvic floor exercises in the early months of post prolapse, don't lift anything and don't have any baths.

• Posted

Thank you ladies those are very helpful responses I'm sure other ladies in early stages such as my self will find this discussion very helpful in the sense it will be in one spot instead of searching all the discussions for tips. Doctors suggestions only go so far but you ladies have been through it and know what you wished someone could of told you I appreciate it and I'm sure that the other ladies will too. So thank you all again. smile

• Posted

Rest which I know some ladies find boring is the most important thing and most urogynaecologists will say the same. I was never bored because it was unusual for me to rest, I had a busy work and personal life so it was welcome. Also a good tip ensure you do rest is get friends involved in helping out, draw up a rota if you have to. A good friend won't mind in the least.

• Posted

I like the tongs idea, I'll give it a go! I have bought a little step to put my feet on when I go for a poo. I read it's less strain if your knees are higher than your hips. 

• Posted

A step is a great idea and something we should all use even if we aren't recovering from prolapse surgery because it actually allows the stool to pass through the bowel in a way it was intended to. It's the same as crouching down. Apparently it is a more natural way. 

• Posted

It works pre op too, I've just bought a 'squatty stool' as having problems lately with not being able to empty properly. It really does work! I should have a date shortly as I had my pre op checks yesterday and met my new consultant. He doesn't give dates, the bed booking dept does that now. The nurse I saw was very helpful with good advice for after the op so feel much happier now. I've also bought a long handled grabber so I don't have to bend and pick things up. Thanks for all your help and advice Matron. x smile

• Posted

I absolutely agree Pollyanna and from information I have read we are all (men and women) causing problems for ourselves by not squatting or using a stool. It's all to do with the position of the bowel. Good news about your surgery. It's been a long time coming so to speak. It's interesting what you said about the booking department arranging surgery dates. It appears that is more common these days. Good luck and let us know when you get a date x

• Posted

I've had 4 prolapse ops, 1 investigative op and there is another op in discussions. (I'm 29 yrs old)

I find it interesting reading your responses. I was very much encouraged to get up and get walks in as soon as possible from the medical staff which I found extremely difficult due to pain and stitches. There was more rest than exercise, I made sure of that!

I ensured that I kept taking lactulose to help with bowel movements and like others, used a little step to change my toileting position.

Unfortunately I didn't have any physio input post op which has left me with pretty much no pelvic muscles. I am now attending a lovely physio who is really helpful and supportive.

Can I ask, what hospitals do others attend?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.