What To Do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, me again!

I've kinda already asked this, but I'm 16 and it's 9 days until my op.

I'm having a total of four procedures on my right foot and have to go back to school three weeks later. I was wondering if I should practice or prepair anything, or if there was anything I should know before the big day?

Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Take lots to do into hospital as you may have to wait a few hours before your op. If it's one foot you will be up and about pretty quickly especially as you are so young.

Going back to school will be fine but you will still be wearing the boot .

Good luck , I had both feet done and I am now walking about after 4 weeks .

• Posted

As you are young you may bounce back but if you are having scarf ostectomy or any other invasive bone cutting treatment you should still have the same recovery symptoms.  One of which is throbbing pain/ache when you lower your foot to the ground.  It's really important to keep your foot raised, even after three weeks.  I am 4 months now, not fully recovered, walk with a limp and still have to raise my foot especially when I have been sitting on a chair with my foot on the floor, not rested up.  So for preparation, obviously you need loads to do in the first few weeks as you won't want to be doing any movement apart from bathroom and bed, KEEP THAT FOOT RAISE HIGH above your heart!  Use either pillows or the wedge thing for beds.  Things like a drinking water bottle beside you, DVD, books, anything that'll keep your mind busy.  

But the later preparation would be to make sure school will allow you to sit with your foot raised during lessons.  A wheelchair would be ideal for the first three weeks of school, at least. Good luck.

• Posted

hello Jennifer, 

i hope that your doctor will guide you as to what you can expect over the 2 or 3 months following the surgery. Recovery is a very slow process. Don't expect to get into normal shoes for at least 10 weeks, maybe more. Sneakers should be ok after 6-7 weeks. Again ask a lot of questions about pain, swelling, mobility. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.