what to do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have stopped atorvastatins for nine months now due to all the physical problems I had.  My GP now tells me that he is concerned about me as my cholesterol has shot up to 9.  I feel ok and eat very healthy. He wants me to revisit the lipid clinic where it all started in the beginning about 5-6 years ago. Should I ignore my GP or start statins again knowing what will follow?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Regina.  I had exactly the same cholesterol level as you - at 9.  I too had horrible problems with statins and made the decision I couldnt continue with them.  My GP, unlike yours, was totally disinterested and didnt even ask me about stopping them.  I would recommend that you dont actually ignore  your GP but do be very very cautious about starting on statins again.  Maybe there are alternative options available that the lipid clinic can advise on or maybe even different forms of statins may cause less problems.  Dont be pushed by 'scare tactics' into just giving in and taking them again but on the other hand, do listen to your doctor and the clinic about all options open to you.

• Posted

I refused to take the statins my GP offered me. She was quite "snippy" when I said no. I have heard SO many awful things regarding side effects.. The body NEEDS cholesterol. especially the brain, it's in every part of your body. If you have time and are further interested. Go to Youtube and type in Statin Nation, it's a REAL eye opener and I am sure it will help you to make an informed decision. 

• Posted

Hi Regina, I would first ask your GP if there are alternative all natural supplements that can help lower cholesterol. I was told by my GP there are. Going back on should be your very last resort and if you do try a different statin and lower dose to start. I was on 20mg of atorvastatin for only 6 months and it ruined my life, I was in bad shape w all the bad side effects. I've been off 5 months now and am getting better but still have headaches on a regularge basis.

Good luck,

Scott

• Posted

I too have lasting damage from statins.  I have had ongoing muscle weakness and recently discovered ruptured tendons in my shoulder and bicep - although my GP and hospital consultants avoid the issue when I ask if due to statin use, my orthopaedic surgeon did finally admit that the ruptures could be a result of weakened muscle.  For me, it was a bad day when I blindly followed my doctor's advice to take them unfortunately.  Good advice from usch in their post - ask for details of the HDL/LDL readings - the singular high figure gives no indication whether both types are high etc.  It's the differential between the two that's far more important.  If your good cholesterol is also high, you are way less at risk.  Your overal figure could be lower but still be more dangerous if the good cholesterol was also low for example.

• Posted

Did you try diet or plant sterols when you stopped taking the statins?  There ae several well publicised cholesterol lowering diets and it is possible to get products which contain plant sterols and these have been proven to lower cholesterol.  Ask the lipid cliniic about diet but don't go back on statins until you have explored every other method of reducing your cholesterol. As  many responders have said cholesterol is vital for the formation of hormones, and statins also block the formation of CoQ10 which is essential for muscle activity hence all the muscle damage related side effects of statins.

• Posted

What are the different readings? HDL, LDN, TRIc.

The total cholesterol number is rather meaningless without the breakdown.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.