What to do?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone I’m at my wits end I have now been on 20mg of Citalopram for 4 months , my fatigue , dry mouth and now I’ve had constant headaches for two weeks plus my jerking and jolting is getting worse , I feel that all of this is now the cause of my anxiety so I feel I have to make the decision whether to come off of it , if I decide to do this is dropping to 15 mg to dramatic in one go., if so what should i do .. if it has to be less than 5mg at a time how do I go about dividing up the tablet to get accurate amounts ..what are your thoughts.... anybody coming off at the moment

thanks again

steve 

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi steve,you can get liquid form,which is simple to divide, I'm trying to come of also 'once more', it is a terrible drug for getting a 'grip' on you, i have halved from 10 to 5 the last couple of months & slowly feeling human again & not a well programned robot !

• Posted

Hi Mike thanks for replying.Did you get liquid form from your doctor?How long were you on it and did it help you?The only benefit I’ve found from them is I don’t 

get full on panic attacks but the side effects are killing me.I never know that you can feel this ill . I just prey im making the right decisions 

• Posted

I definitely think you should give it another month..and ask your doctor for xanex to control those hideous side effects..
    • Posted

Yes Steve, I get mine on prescription, it is a drug you have to experiment with , so it definitely is worth your while taking 5mg less for a week or two, I’m sure you will feel a lot better, it’s a lot stronger drug than doctors make out it is!
    • Posted

Hi Steve, do not listen to any suggestion regarding taking xanex or any benzo type drug to help with side effects. This is bad advise. The consequences of taking any benzodepine are dire.

Tapering of Citalopram takes patience but it is achievable. Similar to you I was at 20 mg for a number of months and just could not settle. Side effects were numerous. I slowly dropped from 20 to 10 mg over about 15 weeks. I just kept chipping away at the tab until I was at 10 mg. Not a very exact science! Now I am working my way down to 5 mg. Same way. Not sure what my reduction technique will be at 5 mg. Likely crush to powder and divide.

Citalopram may be a solution for some but not for me. Never will I take an AD of any type again. Anxiety and side effects are horrible.

Take care and best of luck. You can do this. Day at a time.

Shana

• Posted

Citalopram is not a solution for some your right about that.is a solution for millions!and as far as benzo they may be dire for you but they are also a life saving solution for millions .
    • Posted

I have done my homework but I also don't believe everything I read on the internet .I go by my doctor's knowledge is that simple.whats good for the goose is good for the gander.i took xanex for one whole year and had no problem. came off with no weaning.i know you folks in the UK.are a bit dramatic with meds.

Lol.

• Posted

I have done my homework but I also don't believe everything I read on the internet .I go by my doctor's knowledge is that simple.whats good for the goose is good for the gander.i took xanex for one whole year and had no problem. came off with no weaning.i know you folks in the UK.are a bit dramatic with meds.

Lol.

• Posted

Hi Shana

thank you so much for your helpful response this is exactly how I feel....could I just ask you if you dropped from 20mg to 15 mg in one go or is this too much ..... do you still think coming off it was the right decision for you and how have your side effects been since dropping ...

i just seem to get used to one problem and then comes another one , like the headaches now....... would you say you are starting to feel any better on the low amounts ..... I haven’t been able to work since this all started and although impatient to get my life back accept that withdrawal is a long term thing.

thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you

steve

• Posted

Hi Steve, from 20 to 15 mg was pretty quick. Over maybe 3 weeks and just by every day making the tab a little bit smaller until I got to approximately 15 mg. I slowed it down quite bit going from 15 to 10 mg because work was crazy and lots of family obligations going on. I did not want to push it. I have to say that it was not so difficult. Couple of days I felt a bit off but overall the lower I get on this drug the better I feel. The side effects for me are numerous, migraine headaches, teeth grinding, tinnitus, gastro issues, hair loss, anxiety.... I could go on but you get my drift. Not for me. My doc prescribed like it was nothing when I was having some rapid heart rate issues. She assumed anxiety. After taking for about 9 months (of hell) she sent me to a cardiologist. Turns out was high blood pressure & tachycardia - treatable with a beta blocker.

Apologies for the ramble. Bottom line is don't be too concerned with dropping from 20 to 15 mg. Do it over a couple of weeks. You will feel better not worse. From there go to 10.

I will let you know how it goes for me going from 10 to 5mg. So far so good!

S

• Posted

hi shane just wondering how its going? I have done 2 weeks on 17.5 now get spells of bad headaches and

pain but not really any worse than normal i suppose.When would you drop another 2.5? HOPE your continuing to improve

steve

• Posted

Hi so far no issues. Down to about 5 mg. More or less. Will stay here for about another week to 10 days then will just keep reducing a little bit every couple of weeks until I am finally done. If I start to feel bad I will hold for a bit. Goal is to be off completely by the end of the year. I have to say that I feel better overall. Maybe I will have some rough days towards the end. Will see. Either way I will push thru and get off this stuff. Sorry you are still having headaches and pain! Not fun. Can you take an xtra strength Tylenol or Advil? Make sure you drink lots of water. More than you think you need. I also take omega 3 fish oil. Tastes terrible but I believe it helps. Also I try to walk when ever I can.

Keep going. If I can do this anyone can! Best, Shane

• Posted

hi shane glad your ok cannot believe all this i would give anything to go back and never have taken this stuff

who would think a tiny tablet could ruin your life.All the best

Steve

• Posted

these tablets are terrible! i still havent balanced since updosing nearly 5 months ago

• Posted

hi toria sorry you feel so bad i know exactly how you feel.I still cant understand the benefit of them.

• Posted

I agree with you completely. I truly had nearly a year of hell. I really had no idea what I was getting into with this drug. However even if I had done good research I never would have expected that I could feel so terrible for so long taking something Doctor prescribed to feel better. If that makes any sense...

Helluva lesson!

S

• Posted

HI Mike any advise please.Been cutting down 2.5mg a day for nearly 3 weeks now but today i have a headache thats nearly making me pass out and i can barely walk.Do you think this is withdrawel?

Dont know what to do.

• Posted

is absolutely withdrawals.you said 2.50 everyday?

• Posted

wow thats crazy fast, i reduced from 10 to 5 to 4 got really ill and have been trying to stabilise on 6mg for nearly 5 months and im still very ill

• Posted

HI steve, yeh thats way to fast a reduction, i would of thought 2.5 every month is more realistic & much less side effects to suffer, dont make yourself suffer unnesasary pal.

• Posted

Sorry everyone i meant i am reduced by 2.5 for 3 weeks therefor ive been on 17.5 from 20 for 3 weeks

same question applies can this pain be withdrawal

• Posted

also meant to say the dreams/nightmares are horrendous every second ime asleep they are there

worse than before

• Posted

Hi Steve, yeh that sounds a much better reduction, but the pain most certainly will be withdrawals , it can be a horrible drug to come off, if you start feeling worse, just increase the weeks of reduction, the biggest struggle for me, was from 10 to 5mg, but been on that for 3 months now, without having to up the dose.

• Posted

Hi Mike thankyou for your reply did you get the headaches and diziness ? The pain all seems to be in my joints so bad that i can barely walk and my hands cant grip anything .My god its horendous

• Posted

Yeh Steve it isnt much 'fun' , I i got the exact same minus the headaches, the dizzyness/light headiness is still there a bit, but i take cod liver oil for my joints & eat makerel, smoked salmon etc.

• Posted

hi lois down to a quarter zop every other night but wondering if headaches are this? Plus without zop

twitching seems worse in bed and nightmares def worse also weird phsical pain is worse any ideas?

• Posted

i say that ziplocone is definitely causing joint pain.you should ask doctor for different sleep aid.ambiem could give you relief from joint pain.your description of the joint pain is exactly what i experience from the ziplocone and celexa interactions.once i no longer took that ziplocone the joint pain immediately subsided.

• Posted

Hi Mike laying here again in pain as usuall and wondered how your doing?Has your pain improved

• Posted

HI Steve, i'm doing a lot better, no pains, just a little dizzyness, so im happy now to stay on 5 mg till next year, what dose are you on at the moment?

• Posted

got down to 15 and thinking about droping to 10 just dont know what to do

• Posted

Hopefully what I have achieved, will be possible for you also pal, im stablised on 5's & will never go back up again, only one way for me now & thats down, Its a tough decision for lots of people, up or down with dosage, ive toyed around with both & once the withdrawals have subsided, the body is much better without the drug, in so many ways!

• Posted

thanks mike one last question the dreams/nightmares are getting worse again do you think this is normal with the change in dosage?

• Posted

I Think so Steve, i myself embrace weird dreams though,kind of watching a movie, while your asleep, have you tried cbd oil late evening? helped me s lot, to start with.

• Posted

any dose changes wether up or down is going to cause annoying side effects.

• Posted

hi mike is there any difference in the oils or can i just buy it from the vape store? Is it ok with citalopram

• Posted

Hi Steve,no I wouldn't buy it from a shop,especially 'holland & barrat', as its very poor quality, I got mine on ebay from the cbd brothers. I had no problem on the cit with it, It actually worked well with It & made me nice & relaxed before bedtime.

• Posted

HI Susan, I have tried both, obviously the vaping is quicker in taking effect, but taking the oil sublingualy is probably a bit healthier.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.