What to do

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I, 39 and I have depression and severe memory loss. Lack of concentration and headaches 24/7. It seems very dificult for me to make any decision because Im always insecure as if I had 12 years old. Any small decision needs to be consulted with somebody else. Does any of you have an idea of how to build some self confidence while in the midle of this illness. I think is very important for us to build some self steem based on small steps. Any words of advice wil be greately apreciated!

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Exercise....I know people say it all the time..and I used to roll my eyes...

I just basically sat on the couch for 2 years....drinking alcohol....then stopping..then being depressed..in pain from other conditon.

THEN...I got fed up...joined the gym...do a light workout every other day and my MOOD has done a 180 along with my pain practically dissappearing..its amazing. 

I literarly DRAGGED myself there...and I'm glad I did.  I did because that is all people kept saying...Drs, family and that is one of the first things the internet lists for EVERY ailment....so EXERCISE.

• Posted

Thanks Missi, im actually at the gym now, I dont see improvements but I hope all this condition needs time...
    • Posted

how long have you been going to the gym?

I've only been 3x...and I do feel better.

• Posted

For weeks but not very constant, I need to do it everyday...
    • Posted

I was told every other day by a trainer a long time ago...so that is what I have been doing this week.

its like 94 dg here..and I DID NOT FEEL LIKE GOING...but I went and feel better...I had this pain in my hip...that is GONE now.

• Posted

Well your not alone. That im sure. Mental illness, anxiety disorders they rip you apart. Are you in therapy? Are there any actuall support groups in your area? When your mind is racing or filled with so many painful thoughts there is little room left to be able to think straight or even be able to have a good memory..its all filled up. A good scenario would be able to go on one of those stress retreat. but they are costly. If you have any close friends, sometimes this can isolate you making you feel lonely and more sad, id say go to a quiet dinner and socialize a little bit. Nothing crazy or over the top. Maybe a comedy club (laughing is so healing)  or something in that nature. Sitting in the same house, same room staring the same walls cant be uplifting. You need a change of environment. You dont mention if you are married or you if you live alone..
    • Posted

Im alone now. Decided to be far from my family until I can feel better and solve my issues. Truth is that Im nos helping very much at home. I have to get out of this situation soon...
  • Posted

What dould you be doing right now if you didn't have anxiety to deal with?? Really think on this. What did you use to LOVE to do that you think you can't anymore??

• Posted

Sports for example, I used to play every time I had a chance. Now Im tired and drained from headaches. Driving was another hobby Im not doing as much... I meed to find something that I can do in this current situation until improves..
    • Posted

Why not drive a mile or two a day for a week, then up it a mile or two for the next week. Level out when it feels too much. Pick how many says a week you are going to do this and stick to this. It's like using muscles not used for awhile...a little at a time. Drive a little and find a spot to take a nap if you need to.

Sports. Do you have a hoop outside? If not get one. Shoot a few hoops a day...even start with five. You see where I'm going with this...baby steps, up eventually to giant steps. only you can take the first steps. Don't let anxiety steal any more of your life....push back.

• Posted

Casiodas -

But don't drive two miles in London. it will take you all day and then you'll have to drive back.

• Posted

Good point.

Casiodas, do you live in the city proper, or are you where you can take short drives?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.