What to do after ten week course of high level vitamin D

Posted , 2 users are following.

After a blood test showing very low vitamin D I have been given a course of 40,000 Bio-Vitamin D3 IU per week for ten weeks . I assume that after this I will have to just take a small dose of vitamin D supplements to stop me getting ill again. What dose should be these pills ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You do need to have the vit D level checked at the end and then again a few months later to be sure it has got to where it should be and has stayed there. Here where I live they recommend 2000 IU during the winter and 1000 IU at least during the summer - assuming you are out in the sun and your skin does make vit D in sun, that isn't a certainty. 

• Posted

Thanks Eileen. I will take 2000 IU when I finish the course. I should mention that I am seventy which cannot help.
    • Posted

It is estimated that at 70 your skin production of vit D is less than 1/4 of what it was at 20. We don't go out in the sun because it is often too hot for us and we don't go out with lots of skin exposed! And even 20 year-olds are deficient in vit D. So we don't have much chance...

• Posted

One last question. I am in the third week of the ten week course of high level vitamin treatment. Is it true that there are some side effects during the first few weeks?  Mine appear to be periods when I have had a blocked nose, aching limbs and poor digestion. Hopefully these will disappear after the first month.
    • Posted

Don't really know about vit D side effects - I think it CAN cause stomach upsets but there is not really reason why it should, Seems to depend on the person.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.