What to do next?!?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All,

I have a prolapsed disc in the L4/L5 region, scoliosis and side effects of sciatica down both legs. I have seen chiropractors, Oestoeptahs, I have had steroid and epidural injections in my spine, I am on daily slow release morphine tablets, and I cannot walk for more that 10 minutes straight without terrible pain. I am unsure what the next step is in my treatment is, I am unsure whether to push for surgical intervention, or do one more rund of epidural injections (bear in mind I started the morphine AFTER the epidural injections so im guessing it didnt do the trick).

My Back is so bad that I simply cannot exercise, I have tried very light exercise, walking, swimming, yoga and each one leaves me in agony and off work, I wont even let my boyfriend touch me in case it leads to sex and I end up in pain!

A friend of mine has also suggested that given my history and the fact that my issues are ongoing that I could appy for PIP Payment from the government, and a disabled badge, as I cannot get out of a car in a regular parking space, I have to get out before the car drives into the space, so cannot drive myself anywhere atm, also most days I cant even put on socks. Any advive or help is appreciated.

Im sad, depressed and in pain, can somebody please help me?!?!

Medications List

2 x 15mg MST morphine Tablets per day

2 x 500mg Naproxen per day

75mg Amytriptyline at night

1000mg paracetamol 4 x per day

60mg Codeine 4 x per day

75mg Pregabalin 2 x per day

Omeprazole once a day

and 2.5ml Oramorph as needed (up to 19 times a day)

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katie I have the exact problem as u l4/l5 prolapse disks ,scatica , the whole lot . I was on mst like u ,oramorph , and I have had all the other meds and I had 4 epidurals and nerve root blocks and I am still in pain .My problem was I got addicted to mst and spent a long time trying to sort my life out. I am now off the mst and better for it . What I am trying to say Is i understand u r hurting but stay away from any opiate drugs as your doctor will just increase them to make u happy . I started off on 15mg I ended up on 140mg plus oramorph so believe me stop taking them now as u r only on 15 mg. A s far as what's next i would speak to your doctor now and tel him of your concerns
  • Posted

Hi bad backs are simply hell.Where do you live?Im uk based i have a plolapded disc touching the nerve and disc degeneration. It all showed on an MRI that was done way to late.My Physio is a total fool .CBT therapy will fix it.After 50 plus years in construction i know that taling about injury does not fix them.MOST DAYS I CAN HARDLY WALK AND MY GP WILL GIVE ME NOTHING FOR THE PAIN APART FROM paracetamol.i SPEND ALLDAY WATCHING TELEVISION AND GET LITTLE SLEEP.I MA TRYING TO PESUADE MY GP FPR A NEURO RECOMENDATION.I CANT AFFORD PRIVATE AND HE NHS IS VERY BAD.JUST SOMETHING FOR THE PAIN WOULKD BE A HELP AT MY AGE,BUT THAT REPRESENTS RUG SEEKING BEHAVIOUR ACCORDING TO THEM..I DONT WISH TO START BUYING PAINKILLERS ON THE NET AS ONE NEVER KNOWS WHATS IN THEM.IM GETTING QUITE DESPARATE AND GETTING NOWHERE.I HOPE THAT YOU GET WELL SOON.I DONT EVEN DRINK SO ITS NOT AS IF I CAN DRINK A BOTTLE OF WINE AND SAY .WELL IT WILL NOT HURT FOR A GOD FEW HOURS.

GOOD LUCK.

• Posted

Ok, saying I am going to get addicted to painkillers is not my idea of help, I do not have an addictive personality and I always like to be in control, so would not allow my GP to increase my dosage anyway, as I prefer a more long term solution, I have physio, however the stretches he has given me some days I cannot do them as the pain is too bad, I take most of my drugs at night so I can at least attempt to sleepwithot waking up everytime I move, and hence waking up my partner, with all the medictions I am taking my back is still sore, however I wont strengthen the dosages as I know opiates are addictive. I would like real help and advice please, I am also sorry if your GP and physios are not as good as they should be, however for me this is not the case, mine are very good, however I wanted advice on how I can maybe do some exercise without crippling myself, do any of you guys have disabled badges for your conditions/been refused a badge day to day advice from long term sufferers on how they keep the dark helpless feelings/demaons at bay.
    • Posted

You are misinterpreting Wat I am saying , I was in the army 4 10 years I had a back injury and left I ain't no weirdo who's some druggie. I done physio , I used to be in the gym daily but the pain was to much , I didn't have a good gp at the time and gave me extra meds just to be out of pain . I have a family and belive me when i say you are on a dark path with all them meds , I tell u Wat I give u a year on all them meds , you see what they do to you then come back me.
    • Posted

Hello, I went a year better and left my reply until 2 years later and I can report that I am on the same meds, as I was back then, as I refuse to have them increased and am still in the daily pain, I do not want to just mask the pain with these drugs, I want this fixed. I am looking at getting my surgery at the end of this year, so thats something to hold on too.
  • Posted

Hi Katie.. I had surgery for prolapse disc L5 six months ago and i thought i was doing really well untill 3wks ago when i coughed and sneezed at the same time and a pain shot down my leg. I am now back to square one and in absolute agony with pain down my left leg, I cannot even stand and as for getting up or down the stairs it is excrutiating. I will try anything rather than have further surgery but all my GP will do is dose me with Morphine and rest.  As for the Blue badge i was refused this the 1st time i applied the reason being was that i was awaiting surgery, After surgery i was left with a "floppy foot" caused by nerve damage and applied once more and this was accepted. I do hope you have some success
  • Posted

Hi

I have similar problems I have and received PIP so you should get the higher rate make sure you get help for filling it in go to CAB OR esa jobcentre advisor should help pip is to help you become and stay more independent if you do get the higher rate you can get an adapted car through the mobility scheme I have trouble using my left leg and left hand so I would need an automatic car plus a push pull leaver and a nob on the steering wheel you could get other adaptations such as a chair that can turn to help with getting in and out and pip is not based on your income you can work and still get it Oh if you do go through the mobility scheme they will use the whole of your pip payment to pay for it

I hope this helps

• Posted

Hello,

Me agaim. Well 2 years on and I can report that I am still on the smae meds (as I refuse to have them increased) I am still working, but over the last 2 eyars have had approaching 4 months off! I did apply for PIP but was refused, however I am getting worse, so am going to reapply so fingers crossed. I havent worn socks in 2 years and all my shoes are slip on!

But I have been moved to a brand spanking new consultants list, so I am looking at having my surgery by the end of the year!

• Posted

Hi Katie ,

I had a slipped disc for over 6 months I had the injection which didn't work pain came back 2 days later . I couldn't wear socks cried trying get in and out of car . I was on so many drugs was unreal I stopped the morphine was a nasty drug for me . I used to scream getting out of bed last point for me was when I ended up collapsein. I never in my life felt pain like it , my option was surgery I am 3 weeks in and am a lot better then I ever was . I still have pain down my leg , but I have been told it a slow recovery .

When I was at my worse I even had get my partner to help me on toilet as I couldn't do it . My depression been worse since having a slipped disc .

I am trying my hardest to stay positive that surgery has helped and I will have a normal life .

Wish u all the best

• Posted

Hi All,

I had my surgery on 10th August and it was meant to be a Discectomy, but instead I had an Laminectomy as my disc had calcified. I am feeling much better and I am hoping to slowly wean myself off all the painkillers!

I am worried about the disc still being in there, but my surgeon explained that if I still wanted the discectomy done I would definately need to lose more weight (im currently I think 20st but honestly dont know, but Im a big girl!) so I think im going to see how I go, but I am very hopeful that I might now be able to get back to doing some of the stuff I love (Zumba, Dancing, Pole Fitness and even Horse Riding!)

• Posted

Good  here the surgery went well. Yes it can take a while for the verve pain to die down.

Re activities, I would strongly recommend you stay away from anything that puts demands on your back. Horse riding should be out as that is infamous for causing back injury due to the repetitive impact on your bottom I'm afraid. Running is no good for the same reason. And lots of bending and twisting, again, are best avoided until you are feeling better and have lost a little weight so the load on the back is less. (If you intend to change what you eat then make sure you still have protein, magnesium and calcium in your diet- maybe take supplements)

The best cardio (weight loss) activities  would be low impact things like cycling, walking and swimming. Low intensity for a long time is the most effective for burning calories and avoiding injury but start off with short sessions then slowly build up (+10-15% a week or so). Then Pilates and Yoga are really good for building core strength that you will also want to build up. Only do the exercises that you feel comfortable with though. Pain means STOP NOW.

I went off too hard with my exercise regime after surgery and it did not end well so just passing on my experience. HTH and very good luck.

• Posted

Thank you everyone. I have suffered for the same problem for three years. Can you help me with what I should do? I have used all the medicines, even I have done the injection, I have taken physiotherapy for some time. However, I have not received any health or pain relief. My pain has gone up to the bullocks, toes. I can not walk more than ten minutes. She is very weak. What should I do now? What is the healing of surgery? How successful is surgery? And I'm just twenty one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.