What to do next?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I would really appreciate some advice and or direction. It's been a bit more than 6 months since I had inguinal hernia surgery. May 5,2017. Laparoscopic using mesh. Surgeon used absorb-able tacks. Healing went well, pain disappeared rather quickly. I did great for 6 weeks post surgery, no pain once the initial post op pain subsided. I felt normal and physician ok'd me to go back to my usual life. So I tried some golf, doctor knew from first visit pre-surgery I played so we discussed when I could play again. I had some discomfort after the second round, but the next day I awoke to severe stabbing pains with every step. I went back to my doctor and he felt golf had stressed the surgical tacks and the pain would stop in time as they dissolved. Over time the severe pain did cease and I am much improved, however pain still creeps in can increase by just walking about or standing after awhile. Sitting upright at a table for a few hours can cause some discomfort as well. It can present as stiffness or a kind of heated feeling from my pelvis bone down to near my upper inner thigh. Sometimes it's a dull stab at the former hernia site. I rest by reclining once it begins to reappear and the discomfort decreases in a reasonable amount. At home also I still get the random quick sporadic pinch, stiffness and stab just by moving about. Sleeping I am largely pain free. I was a fairly active person, including regular exercise, prior to surgery and now I'm not active at all. I now confine my activities to just basic functions at home and necessary errands. Just for FYI my age is 61, 6'3” and 200 pounds. Other than this issue I am in good health.

I visited my surgeon again in August and he did have an ultrasound performed on me, with valsalva, and it showed nothing of concern to him. He isn't interested in having an MRI or CT scan performed. I look normal, no bulges or discoloration. Bodily functions are normal. My surgeon isn't offering me anything now except trying pain management shots.

With the goal of getting my old life back I would prefer to better understand what is causing the issue and finding a solution if possible. I believe my options at this point is to rest more and see if things improve further over the next few months. Or is it too soon for option 2 which is to go ahead and find another surgeon and get a second opinion? Which I guess could end up including a revision of the first surgery work. So I would prefer suggestions to include for that possibility. From where I live major parts of Virginia and Maryland are within reasonable distance. So I would be open to any recommendations. Thoughts please.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If it were me, I'd INSIST on an MRI!  Now I'm nervous about going back to Crossfit. It takes THAT long for staples to absorb??

• Posted

My surgeon is done with me. I asked about an MRI or CT scan he said no. He just wants to give me shots which I don't really want.  The tacks are supposed to dissolve by 6 months. It was his first explanation to my pain. At this point I don't think it was or is the cause.

• Posted

Hi, a story not dissimilar to mine. After years of suffering I have massage around the area where the mesh was inserted to keep it mobile and to prevent it cutting very slowly into the surrounding tissue by attaching to it.  Also, I am prescribed a low dose of  ametriptylene that impacts on the irritated nerves. It is working and I am greatly improved. I did ask my doctor re the massage.
    • Posted

I am curious to your massage regimen. How often, how long per session and is it gentle or more deep?

My surgery is not tender to the touch so massage may help. 

• Posted

It is very deep but careful. My masseuse is a degree holding therapist and I think this quality is safer!!! I have been having it once every two or three weeks for a few months, each time getting deeper - it will hurt. Now, I am virtually pain free except when I over- exert!  I can live happily with what I have!!!! Also, she applies a cross of sports tape directly over the most painful spot and my thought is that this helps to complement the other two treatments.  Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.