what to do next

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, made an Appt with doctor over 3 weeks ago for a check up I'm now 65 years  - nurse said I wasnt due for one for another 2 years, as I had been checked when registering with this new surgery ( had just downsized and moved house) but she said as you are here i'll do your BP so it wont be a waste of your time.  Well shock followed as my BP was high 169 /101  ( had always been bang on normal before)  was then told I would be given a BP monitor to use at home but there was a waiting list.  Waited 3 weeks rang nurse to see where I was on the list - 6 people ahead of me and it depended when the units were returned as I could have one!  Well i'm not goiing to wait so have ordered an NHS approved Monitor for home use.  Should arrive next week, I'm not going to call the surgery again to find out what I'm supposed r]to do - timings for taking readings, frequency etc - what should i be doing how many readings at what time intervals etc as was only told you are on the list no other information given at that time  - can anyone advise

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Your bp will fluctuate a bit throughout the day so sit comfortably for 5 minutes before you take it. Breathe deeply and make a note of what you were doing before you measured it (I.e. eating, gardening, watching tv).Maybe start off with a reading every 2-3 hours.
  • Posted

I believe it is possible to get a bit obsessive with BP readings & this in turn creates anxiety.  Anxiety will elevate BP & this defeats the purpose of the exercise.  In this case I would take BP around mid morning at least an hour after eating.  Take three measurements as they can vary & record the best of three.  If your BP is still markedly higher than the recommended 120/80 after one week make another GP appt & take your readings along for the doctor or nurse to review.  BP can be reduced through medication or lifestyle changes.  If your BP is excessively high, medication is the way to go but lifestyle changes are possible to reduce marginally raised BP. 
  • Posted

Hi Maggie,

I take my BP first thing in the morning, before breakfast and before doing any housework, or other exercise eg gardening.  I sit quietly and relax and then take my BP twice.  I leave 4-5 minutes between the two readings.  I record both the readings, and count the lower of the two as the 'accurate' one.  Usually my second reading is the lower one.

I repeat the whole exercise late at night, before I go to bed.  Usually after I've been watching TV or working on my computer, and have relaxed.  I make sure that I haven't had anything to eat or drink (except water) in the previous hour or so.  Repeat the two BP readings, and record the lower of the two readings.  Again, the second reading is usually the lower one.

I purchased my own BP monitor which is the same as that used in my GP surgery.  HTH 

• Posted

I would check for a few days (few times a day, random times) before getting excited.  You may be experiencing what is 'white coat syndrome' where your anxiety of being in a Dr.'s office gives you a higher reading.

If you still get the high readings I'd make another appointment and discuss with your Dr. what might be a good course of action for you.

I experience an elevated reading when in the Dr.s office but have a normally low reading when home.  For me, I'm more concerned with how I apparently deal with anxiety... :-O

• Posted

Hi Maggie,

I agree with BTJ. Check your BP a couple of times a day but don't get too obsessive about it. I too check mine twice a day most days - and not immediately after eating - and record the results on a spreadsheet so I can keep track of any trends. I also sometimes check immediately after coming in from a brisk walk - usually about an hour-and-a-half in my case - and always find it's lower then, which cheers me up!

If you're someone who uses a lot of salt, you can usually bring about an immediate reduction in BP by cutting back to the minimum. And if you're overweight, losing just a few pounds can improve things too.

• Posted

Hey there

I had the same thing and also decided to buy a bp machine from amazon.my pressure reduced very quickly once i had re strted my 2 days a week of fasting and cutting down on alchohol and no salt.its not as low as suggested but a massive improvement and i only began 3 weeks agon. started at 180 over 114 now averaging at 142 over 85. be careful not to obsess over taking readings because i did at first now i just do an 8.30 am and a 6 pm reading.the machines usually come with a little chart you can fill in good luck and dont worry to much

• Posted

What the surgery waiting list is for is a 24 hour ambulatory monitor that costs around £1800 so they usually only have two. I'm surprised at 'depends on when people bring them back'  as they are very strict on you only having it for 24 hours and the cuffs need to be sterilsed before the next patient.  I'm always given a precise future date and time to collect one and to return it.

This will give your doctor a better picture than than your home readings as it does one every 30 minutes during the day and hourly during the night.

When you get your own one don't take a reading first thing in the morning as that is when everyones BP is highest. BP rises again during the late afternoon. As others have said it goes down after walking or exercise (shows that it is good for you)

If you bought a decent machine and you take three morning readings it will also average them for you and have the facility to upload them to a spread sheet as a program comes with it. Some also beep out your heart beats or show an irregular heart beat symbol that my present and previous GP surgery ones don't do. They all come with an instruction manual.

• Posted

Take blood pressure and pulse readimgs as often as you likemake sure monitor is above your heart. Eat a heart healthy diet..low salt low cholesterol Mediterranean diet is bestmake an appointment to get blood pressure medicine
  • Posted

Take blood pressure and pulse readimgs as often as you likemake sure monitor is above your heart. Eat a heart healthy diet..low salt low cholesterol Mediterranean diet is bestmake an appointment to get blood pressure medicine
  • Posted

I'm actually quite surprised at this advice, there are some advantages in using a BP machine but they are not an absolute necessity. Normally recording a high BP on several visits is a good enough indication for some intervention. I suspect if the level stays at this level they will recommend drug treatment and they will continue to monitor it until they feel its reasonably controlled.

Go see your Dr and discuss it with him, its nonsense having to wait for a monitor to do anything, they only really come into their own when control is difficult.

• Posted

My consultant at a Hypertension Centre said 'You can never take your BP too often' It did surprise me as it will you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.