What to do now?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've ingested about 50 iron tablets (ferrous fumarate) with each tablet containing 65.7 mg elemental iron. I took a few at about 12:00pm and some more at different times throughout a timespan of 6 hours. I only felt a very tiny bit of discomfort in my stomach and had black diarrhea which was maybe a little over an hour ago. I'm feeling a little discomfort right now, but it's nothing serious. If I ingested so many iron tablets, why am I not having any severe symptoms? I know iron supplements have a pretty high risk of toxicity if taken in large doses.

Thanks for any feedback!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Why did you do that? I think you should contact your doctor asap. Why are you trying to cause pain to yourself? Life is precious dont throw it away. Whatever you are feeling now it will surely pass. Do something to divert your thought. We all are in the same boat. We have all suffered in our different ways many worse than others and still trying to live happy. You could talk to someone who will understand your problems like a therapist. I just hope you are okay now.
    • Posted

Thank you! I appreciate your words.

I know everyone has their struggles and problems they face, but I really just felt like my life was truly miserable and nothing good is happening--if anything, things just keep getting worse and worse. I've always been one to look on the bright side and told myself to always be happy no matter the situation because I'm in control of my emotions...but I really felt defeated by everything life is throwing at me.

• Posted

Hi I hope you are ok and you read this.  If you haven't already get yourself to a doctor or ER now.  You could have caused long term damage and you need checking out.  

Are you on any meds or having any counselling?   What's your situation?   I am worried about you now so please come back in and let us know what's going on. 

• Posted

Hey, thanks for your reply and concern! Much appreciated.

I am actually at the hospital right now in the ER. I've been here for the past three hours and I'm currently waiting for the results on my blood test. Still currently not having any symptoms, but let's see what the results show.

I did something stupid by ingesting all those iron tablets yesterday. I felt like I hit a certain point where I just wanted to cause harm to myself and didn't care about the long-term consequences that I may now have to face. Hopefully though, things will be okay smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.