What to do when i can't sleep without going crazy?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Dear Friends an fellow sufferers,

Hello.

I would like to give u brief history about my problem. Around 2.5 years ago i was hired in a new job after 3 years unemployment. 

The night before going for the first day at work i did not sleep at all. That was it. The beginning of my insomnia problem. One day or two i would not sleep and very stressed and panicky and the third i just collapsed from extreme fatigue. This went for some months. Then i decided to go to psychologist to help me treat this. Slowly slowly i started treating it but i still could not sleep at nights so i asked her if she has any psychiatrists to give me something to sleep. He gave me various medications (antidepressants, anti stress, sleeping pills). I ended up taking A VERY strong dosage of very strong sleeping pills. I already started cutting down of the drugs. I am currently on 1*10 stilnox. I do sleep Easier (except last night that i was so tensed nothing helped). The problem is the next day, next day i messed up. And is every day.

Now why i am writing this to you. I am thinking of cutting it completely. 

What do you thing??

And from people that have been in the same position as me what can i do at night when i can't sleep to make me tired and not freaking out. 

I think i prefer to sleep fewer natural hours even having sleepless nights than the alternative.

I mean today that i did not sleep (my wife told me i slept an hour maybe i do not know) and even though i took the sleeping pill (that did not work) i am sleepy yes but much better than the other times i took the pill and sleep

Please give me your words of wisdom.

Thanks a lot

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Marioscy, I think your instinct is correct, but you should never stop drugs like this without tapering. May I ask about the antidepressant you took? It's not clear from your post whether you're still taking it or not. Antidepressants should never be stopped abruptly, as this can make insomnia worse, as well as producing feelings of panic. If you want to get yourself off all these pills - which I think is a good idea - it would be better to go to a doctor and discuss this.

I can certainly sympathise with your problem. I've always had sleep anxiety, and was a poor sleeper even as a child. Things took a turn for the worse when I was about 25. I was working as a nu rse at that time and took a job in a London hospital that was running a pilot programme to try and improve shift systems to attract more people into the profession. Long story short, the year or so I spent working on that "improved" schedule totally wrecked what was left of my normal sleep pattern. Heaven knows how they ever thought a dreadful timetable like that was going to attract new recruits! But this is usually the problem when one relies on an external committee to make decisions, isn't it?rolleyes

So... I was left with totally wrecked sleep. I never went on sleeping pills or any other prescription medications because I knew too much about them. I relied on very small doses of over-the-counter antihistamines. But please don't try adding these in to the whole pharmacopeia you already seem to be taking! Sorry to shout at you but I'm an old lady and my patience is sometimes a bit short.wink

I never took the antihistamines every night. If you do this, the result will be the same as with sleeping pills - you'll develop tolerance and they'll stop working. I only took them for a maximum of three consecutive nights about once every 10 days. I did this for the remaining 40-odd years of my working life without ever developing tolerance to them.

However, to be perfectly honest, I don't think the antihistamines had much to do with it. All they really did was to give me a feeling of confidence that I'd be able to sleep again each time I'd had a run of rough nights. I continued to sleep quite badly overall for the rest of my working life, but it never did me any harm. I'm 73 now and at least as fit and healthy as my contemporaries who claim always to have had eight hours' sleep a night. I think the moral of this story is that you don't need as much sleep as you think you do to stay healthy and cope with life. That's not to say I never felt tired. Some days, when I'd only had a couple of hours' sleep, I'd feel exhausted. But nothing bad ever happened to me.

The interesting thing is that as soon as I retired from paid employment 7 years ago, I started to sleep much better! I'm afraid work has a lot to answer for, but then most of us can't avoid it, can we? I now do a demanding voluntary job but usually manage to sleep well, though I still have to resort to the antihistamines on nights before making a presentation at work, going on a journey etc.

You've clearly got yourself into a huge panic about not sleeping, and you've been on a lot of medication. Both of these factors are going to make it difficult to get back into a workable sleep pattern, but it's by no means impossible. I do, however, think you're going to need some help with this. If you have a doctor you feel you can trust, perhaps you could discuss the best way of getting off medication. CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) can also be helpful in cases like yours, though you need to be careful when choosing a therapist. Since it became "fashionable" a few years ago, I'm afraid quite a lot of under-qualified people have been getting in on the act. Finally, a friend of mine who suddenly hit a serious problem with sleeping when she was in her late 50s tried acupuncture. It took about six months of fairly expensive sessions, but she ended up recovering her old sleep pattern.

Try not to worry too much about your poor sleep - though I certainly know how hard that can be! Try and get some medical help that doesn't involve medication. And just accept that your sleep may never be as good as everyone else's but that this won't harm you.

• Posted

Hello Lily65668,

Thanks for the fast reply. The anti-depressants that i took was for a few months only its been almost 2 years since i stopped them. They made me feeling a bit brain numbed. 

Before this i was a very heavy sleeper. Nothing could disturb my sleep. Not even if we had guests or we where guests somewhere. Now i do not even want to go anywhere i want to stay home and when i am at home i want to leave. Like i do not know what i want. 

Currently i am only taking 1 pill named Stilnox. And maybe occasionally Quite Nights (Valeriana) but does not do anything to me only makes me upset in the stomach. 

i only took one time the antihistamines (one day) but it did not help T ALL.

It is like i have a battle in me. I want to sleep but i am also not letting me sleep. Then i go crazy and fearful and panicky and i end up taking the pill and sleep. Most of the times it works. 

I am already in CBT with a good therapist. But the problem is that i do one step forward 10 backwards. Then again. 

The reason is that i want to stop this pill with the help of the doctors of course is that last night with the one hour sleep i am feeling much better than the hours i sleep with the pill ( it messes me totally). But then if i do not sleep and don't take it i go crazy. 

It is like i can relax.

Please tell me what to do to get out of this loophole 

And sorry for bothering u so much and the long text

• Posted

Hi,

A couple of years a poster calling himself bemmeh put up a message on these boards. To my mind, it gave just about the best advice you could find about how to approach sleep anxiety. He gave me permission to quote it whenever necessary, so here goes:

Partial quote from bemmeh:

...The moment I stopped struggling against insomnia it simply started going away, though not suddenly. It took quite a while. But the improvement was real from the start. Insomnia is not a thing in itself. The ability to sleep is so strong among us, humans or animals in general, that it is almost impossible to seriously alter it. Insomnia in us humans appears when we TRY (and therefore struggle) to sleep. You just need to stop doing all the things you are doing FOR sleeping and let your body and mind do whatever they want - if you sleep it's OK but if you don't, that's OK too (everybody has bad sleep for all kinds of reasons once in a while). When sleep time comes just go to bed, close your eyes, and rest. Don't TRY to sleep, as you are used to do. Just rest! If sleep comes that's OK, if it doesn't that's OK too, you haven't been very successful in getting the amount and quality of sleep you have desired anyway - that's why you call yourself an insomniac. So why keep on trying/desiring? Just let it go. Accept your reality and move on to the things in life you can control over. Sleep is not something we can control. You just need to trust your body and mind for it and stop trying to do anything whatsoever for it. Good luck!

End quote.

I can't add anything to that. If you're not being helped by medication or CBT, I think you're going to have to start addressing the problem yourself. That's often the best way.

• Posted

Thanks Lily,

i wanted to try this so many times and tried it, But there is a big but here when the hours are getting by i get stressed and crazy and then i take the dos forsaken pill to sleep. And then again and again. Have not managed yet to do that.

The crazy thing is when i do not sleep i ok for 1 or 2 days but if i take the pill i am messed up. And still i do take it

Go figure.

I am really messed up.

BR

• Posted

Maybe you shouldn't be telling yourself you're messed up? I'm not kidding. These messages we send ourselves can be very powerful.

You obviously do have the ability to control this, as you say there are some nights you don't take a pill, and you feel better even if you don't sleep. That's not the action of someone who is totally messed up.

Maybe try telling yourself "I can take a pill tomorrow but I'm going to brave it out tonight". Then you can take the pill the next night if you feel you have to. Just try exerting control little by little, one night at a time. You don't have to take the decision that you're never going to take a sleeping pill again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.