What to do when medication is not taken

Posted , 2 users are following.

We have been married for 16 years..  My husband was recently diagnoised with aniexty and prescribed medication for it.   I think it works great as he is calm, we can communicate better, life just seems easier when he doesn't have constant worries and concerns.  He also SLEEPS thru the night when he takes it.  For some reason he doesn't care to take it which I understand but it helps him so much, he's a happier person too..  When he doesn't take it, he yells, gets angry and worries all the time which leads to little sleep.   I have tried to talk with him about this but says I need medication!!  I feel bad but how can I stay married if he doesn't take what's prescribed?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Another thing is that I am also more relaxed when he is..  So now that he told me that he doesn't want to take it, it means that he is back to his ole self which is stressful on me..   What should I do.?

• Posted

Get a notebook from Smiths and ask him to write down all the things that are causing this worry and anxiety.  Once you find out then perhaps you can go through the reasons and help.  Writing down is good anyway for anyone with anxiety.as perhaps he does not really know what it is at the moment or has not been able to analyse it.   Otherwise ask doc if he can have professional councilling.  People who are anxious do get angry.  Medication is good but it only masked what is causing it all.   Could be midlife crisis, or worried about you, lots of things, get to the bottom of it if you can

• Posted

I honestly think you should expreask these concerns to his doctor and, assuming you didn't do this already, try asking him why he doesn't take it. If he doesn't wanna take it, there are other ways to cope with anxiety including therapy, counseling, and household remedies. He could have good reason behind not taking the meds, so try to understand his perspective on it.

• Posted

*express
    • Posted

Thank-you..  I have tried to talk with him but he just doesn't understand OR just gets super angry about it. I think it's a stigma that he doesn't want. He does exercise most days and doesn't like any type of counseling at all!! I will call the doctor this week and let her know what's going on even thou spouse doesn't want me involved.  Otherwise she may think everything is fine.   If he is taking it, I can't tell and might need an increase in it.  

• Posted

S it for anxiety or bipolar? Teo different things completly. If it is a benzo maybe he is scared he will get addicted to it. Theres many reason he might not like it. But no one knows the diagnosis..just anxiety as you nited then it is nt a cure and has side effects that may make him feel awful. But something tells me theres more to this.
    • Posted

sorry about the typos. Hope you can still make sense of what i wrote. 
    • Posted

For years I thought he had ADHD..  Then for some reason the last 3 or so years his actions were becoming unbearable for me.  I demanded marriage counseling which he didn't like but managed to go together 4 times in a year--  I went the other times by myself.   A couple months ago I persuaded him to get evaluated by a Psychiatrist who gave him the diagnois of Anxiety.  His parents are constant worriers as welll.  The first medication was dream-- worked well for weeks then he said he felt dizzy with headaches.  He stopped for awhile then I asked him to please try another.  He is on Zoloft now.   At first he complained that his knee was hurting so he stopped taking it..  We then found out that it's osteoarthritis in his knee so I convinced him to take again..  This is where we are at now..  He is not interested in any therapy-- I go for myself because I need an outlet and just to talk.  He exercises each day as he can't sit still, we do errands and other household duties..  He told me one time that he felt more relaxed also!  He enjoys eating- he does well at work.  Doesn't sleep too much-- always moving around to spare bed or different couchs..  When he takes 5 mg of sleeping pill he will sleep in our bed thru the night-- this has only happened a few times..   But I have read that others do this as well-- they take medication thinking 'they' are better then stop only to find out they are back to square one.  I am supportive because he is a great guy and I have told him this..  Very active in kids sporting events also..  Goes to work each day and never feels the need to take a day off.  It's just tough

• Posted

It's good to hear that he is at least exercising, as that usually helps anxiety by releasing endorphins and keeping the mind busy. Best of luck to you both!

• Posted

I know its hard on you. I know this is all hard on him. It is a disorder. You have him in zoloft and you both are lucky it was working. They only work on half the people. A lot of research is finally going into all this so hopefully science will come up with an actual reset for all this mess. He doesnt mean to cause you stress, i promise you that. You are a godsend to him so please keep loving him and have patient. Talk therapy after a while does not do much for a mal function. It doesnt. Its not always emotionally rooted it is a mal function. And probably causes him stress to keep recycling the same convos. I will share it take 110% of a person with an anxiety disorder to get thru life. Its a constant on your toes being aware and self calming cycle. No one wants this ever. He does sound like he is not productive which is fantastic. all these meds plataue at a certain point so people switch them. And if you read thru here you'll see there about a month of intense anxiety while one accustomed to the new chosen med. they have others besides Zoloft. He is so very lucky to have you in his life! The mere fact you came on here to inquire is beautiful. I know it is stressful on you as well so be sure to get out and do fun stuff and have relaxing time yourself. 

On a positive note he is most likely a caring , sensitive guy. People with anxiety are very sensitive to emotions and other peoples emotions, insomnia happens in anxiety. Have him learn mindful exsercises ( theres an app) and self calming music to quiet his thinking. 

• Posted

Thanks for listening..  I called the Dr a few days ago and left a message for an update that I don't think it's working and stated why  (constant worries, etc)..  Also suggested he may need an increase..   I hope it was OK to do that because spouse doesn't want me to be involved..   UGH   Last night I had many dreams and one of them was him coming home with new medication!!   This is really bothering me and I wish it wouldn't!!  Maybe it's just the holidays...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.