What to do when you feel overwhelmed?

Posted , 3 users are following.

It's been a strange year. After a stressful (if not sometimes wonderful) 2022, I vowed an adventurous and stress-free 2023.

Instead I've lost myself.

I've been having gut issues which has sent my anxiety spiralling, and caused bouts of depression to hang heavy upon me.

I'm seeking intermittent physical and mental help for this.

Yet lately? Alongside relationship issues, financial uncertainty, and job dissatisfaction, I feel I'm losing myself.

I'm like a bound of energy. I am passionate about what (and whom) I love. I try to remain positive in the face of adversity. Try to brush aside my worries and fear.

At the moment? I can't. I'm feeling overwhelmed. I worry endlessly about the future. I lament about the present - mostly because of my gut issues, I confess.

My Wife asks what's up. I can't keep saying the same thing over-and-over. That I'm having another bad day.

Any advice or thoughts on how to help cope?

Thank you

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

this is a little long, but I am a veteran of stress and anxiety and all of the sensations and fears that go along with it. I’ve learned some things along the way.

I’m really sorry you’re going through this. I know exactly what it feels like. I am in my 50s and I remember when I was in my late 20s I suddenly had several scary sensations such as muscle weakness, ringing in my ear, floaters in my eyes, a vibration, feeling in my head, arms and legs. I thought I had some horrible disease. But every test was normal. Ended up being. Watt I call a physical breakdown from the stress and anxiety since childhood.

Even in my adult years, I would worry worry worry about the future. What if? What if? What if something happens to my children? or I don’t have enough money? just everything!

All of that was a complete waste of time. They say that worry is like a rocking chair. It keeps you busy, but gets you absolutely nowhere.

It’s really really important. I learned to live in the present moment. The past and future do not exist. The past is just memories. What we can do is make plans, of course, but to constantly focus about the future is futile.

and that is most likely the cause of your stomach issues. I developed severe gastritis from worrying and job, stress, verbal abuse in marriage. it was awful and went on for quite a while. and I also had job dissatisfaction and I ended up getting divorced. So I pretty much had the same things going on as you. had to take a leave of absence for my stress and anxiety and gastritis.

if I could say one thing, it would be to take care of your health!

No job is worth losing your health over. I ended up leaving my job.

Somehow things work out. It might not be exactly as you expected it to be, but it will work out.

Take one day at a time.

There are some great meditations on YouTube for anxiety, over thinking, etc. It’s really important to relax your mind as much as possible.

I am worried for over 20 some years and nothing bad ever happened. I can’t get back any of those days.

Try to stay in the counseling, even if you start to feel a little better. It always helps to have somebody to vent to and get some help. I do virtual counseling and it works great. Feel free to private message me anytime. ive been Through it all.

take care of you!

• Posted

also, I started exercising, which releases good hormones in the brain to make you feel more relaxed. Stayed away from caffeine and junk food also.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.