What to eat>?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Been on 10mg since 25th Nov, and had side effects like sickness, loss of sleep and basically feeling worse then before. I believe i got through them accept lack of sleep. Now i have started 20mg today and have just been sick, and panicking even more so,, i want to know if any of you know what foods and liquids i can eat which wont cause me to be sick? the only two i know wont is banana's, and water. i am 5ft 3 and 7stone, i dont want to lose anymore weight then i already have, as i get weak and it takes it out on me. I am scared :'( Please! right back to me, thankyou

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I swear by bananas! it was all i could manage to start with. 

Have you tried cereal bars? as i found they also gave me a bit of an energy boost. 

i lost my appetite and lost weight however i am now eating more than i used to but not gained weight. i think it is very common for cit to alter your appetite in one way or another. 

Try snacking little and often rather than forcing down a meal.

I also found sucking on sugar free mints settled the sickness feeling 

hope it eases soon 

amy x

• Posted

Hello Cree 

I can understand your worries . I have been on citalopram for 5 weeks now and lost 1 stone a 2 pounds ! It scared me to not be able to eat and lose weight so rapidly and it does make you feel tired and weak ! But the really good news is that this will pass and your appetite will return and you will once again enjoy food and regain your lost pounds ! I have been eating again for about 5 days and can hardly think I couldn't even think about food a week ago !!! To help when I was there I too ate banana but also bought complan milkshake mixes from the chemist and used a straw to glug it down , one or two a day  and it was very reassuring to know I was at least getting some good nutrients during this very stressful time , I also made sure I drank loads of water ( even that could make me feel sick ) but I could know that I was helping myself in some small way . Have faith in yourself and know and believe this will pass and you will look back very soon on this tough time x

• Posted

Hi Cree

Just eat what you feel like for now, in the short term you'll be ok.  I lost over a stone too as I couldn't eat at all, I was only eating because I knew I had to.  Like Yvonne mentioned what about trying some complan or other substitute drinks, it'll keep you going.  You seem to have got the hideious nausea that some suffer when starting Cit, it's quite common it seems.  It's really rough when you start these tablets.  I did alot of walking and deep breathing to get me through and I know it seems like it lasts forever but it will start to calm down.  The increased anxiety I beleive only last a week for me and within a few weeks i noticed moments of calm in between the panic and anxiety, over weeks the moments of calm increased until I found I was able to relax in the evenings etc.  Be strong you WILL get there.

Louise x

• Posted

Yes I agree with everyone here - eat whatever you want at the moment, and as suggested why not try Complan or some similar liquid food.  Your doctor or pharmacist should be able to advise.

Can you make a banana milkshake?  Or does milk disagree with you?

Something I've found in the past to help combat nausea and sickness, is Ginger Ale.

The sickness shouldn't last forever - you'll get side effects with each dose increase, which will ease in time.

K xx

• Posted

Hi,

Reading your comment about eating has really reassured me that I am not the only one. It is really worrying be that I cannot face food & cannot imagine ever getting back to normal again.

I had started to eat a bit more but GP has increased my dosage to 30mg & now feel as if I am back to where I started.

How are you feeling today ?

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.