What to eat?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I’m having a lot of trouble finding things to eat that don’t cause a lot of discomfort. My stomach hurts 24/7 and food just makes it worse... I’m in pain from potatoes right now. /potatoes/. I’m pretty much living on cereal and crackers which I’m pretty sure I’m not actually supposed to eat. Oops. First ulcer I’ve gotten and I’d love some advice, thank you! 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

For me it has been cooked food that causes least problems - stewed apples and pears, plain boiled white rice and steamed vegetables, such as carrots and courgettes. Raw melon and banana seem OK. Salad leaves and other raw salad foods particularly tomatoes are a problem. In hot weather, eating cooled cooked food works. I don’t eat meat from choice, but eat fish, eggs, just minimising any fat in cooking. And I avoid high fat foods, very acidic foods, pickles, vinegar, citrus fruits and drinks. Also carbonated drinks, white wine and spirits. I’ve kept a food diary, noting down everything I eat and symptoms. Sometimes symptoms are instant, sometimes come the following day.  Keeping a very simple diary has helped identify problem foods. Hopefully you are taking some medication too.
    • Posted

Thank you so much!! This is really helpful! I don’t eat meat either but maybe I could try fish for a little while. As for medication, I’m just on PPIs. Maybe why my digestion is horrible 
  • Posted

I had a perforated ulcer a cpl of years ago and ended up in ICU for a cpl of weeks. Whem recovered was told I'd probably end up with IBS. Was fine for 6 - 12 months but then stomach and bowels were horrible. Took a while but figured out no bread (rye bread a decent sub) no pasta (wholemeal pasta works) no tomato sauces (Bolognese etc)

And get probiotic tablets i got ones for ibs worked brilliant for me. Apparently no coffee. I dont drink coffee but apparently a lot of caffeine doesn't help either

• Posted

Ouch!! Sorry to hear you had to go through that. And yeah, I had pizza twice (dumb idea) and quickly figured out tomato sauce is a no no. I’ll definitely try probiotics! Thank you for the reply smile 
  • Posted

You could try eating yogurt to promote healthy gut bacteria.

I worry that as you are a "non meat eater" that unless you can eat eggs, and dairy produce you will become Vitamin B12 deficient especially now that you are taking PPI's  which artificially reduce the acid level in your stomach which B12 needs to be high to be processed properly.. Animal products are the only natural source of B12.

Low stomach acid is also bad for digesting  your food so it's a vicious circle.

IBS can also lead to a Vitamin B12 deficiency.

Symptoms of B12 deficiency tend to develop slowly and may not be recognised immediately. As the condition worsens, common symptoms include:

Weakness and fatigue

Light-headedness and dizziness

Palpitations and rapid heartbeat

Shortness of breath

A sore tongue that has a red, beefy appearance

Nausea or poor appetite

Weight loss

Diarrhoea

Yellowish tinge to the skin and eyes

If low levels of B12 remain for a long time, the condition also can lead to irreversible damage to nerve cells, which can cause the following symptoms:

Numbness and tingling in the hands and feet

Difficulty walking

Muscle weakness

Irritability

Memory loss

Dementia

Depression

Psychosis

You don't mention eating any vegetables in your diet.  Leafy green vegetables such as sprouts, broccoli, asparagus,spinach etc are the natural sources of Folate (Vitamin B9) and this works together with B12 to help you produce red blood cells.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had Pernicious Anaemia (a form of B12 deficiency) for more than 46 years which was eventually caused by a perforated ulcer which required the removal of two thirds of my stomach by gastric surgery at the age of 17 in 1959.  However, I've survived and am still "clivealive" aged 77.

Apart from prescribing the PPI what else is your doctor "doing" for you?

I wish you well. 

• Posted

Hi, thank you for the reply and good information! I also worry about B12 deficiency, but my B12 levels were fine last month and I do eat eggs and dairy products smile prior to getting ill my diet actually consisted of mostly vegetables but now they all seem to give me horrible stomach pains.

My doctor isn’t “doing” anything for me actually. He diagnosed me based on symptoms and just told me not to eat spicy food and  prescribed PPIs. When the office called me with my blood test and urea breath test results (all good, thankfully!) I told them the PPIs weren’t relieving my symptoms but they said to just wait until my prescription runs out. I have about a weeks worth left and I’ve seen no improvement so far and it seems they’re only causing me more problems with digestion  sad I’m getting really worried as I no longer have insurance so if this doesn’t improve I’m pretty much stuck until I can get it back... I’m not sure how likely it even is that this is an ulcer seeing as I don’t have h.pylori, I’m only in high school, and I don’t take pain medication often. I guess it’s not an infection as nothing showed up in the blood tests, so at least there’s that! 

• Posted

Sorry for the double reply! I wanted to ask if you knew whether it would be alright to take muscle relaxers or not. They gave me some for my neck but my doc gave 0 information about ulcers and what I should and shouldn’t do or eat while I have one. Oops. (Ps, I’m glad you’re “clivealive”)
    • Posted

I didn't go to the docs about it. The way my stomach changed so much seemed like classic IBS. When i ate certain things like bread or pasta or tomato sauces would either be a quick toilet trip or bowels would feel swolen and sore like there was a golf ball in there. I eat meat so had no issues with b12. I have pro biotic tablets from chemist not overly expensive and says on them suitable for vegans. I took 2 a day for the first week. Noticed a difference after the first cpl of days. Still a bit of hit and miss with some other foods. But as long as your generally healthy. Vegetables are needed the fibre helps. Went to the docs recently for a check up and she said everythin i did is what she would suggest anyway. She's a pretty good doc and tends to try and keep you away from prescribed stuff is she can.

• Posted

Oh yeh... no fizzy drinks. Acidic fruits. (This for me though... might be different for you)

I'm assuming you're in the U.S when you say about insurance? Could imagine that's a pain in the neck.

• Posted

Yeah.... I had like a liter of ginger ale before someone told me not to drink soda or citric acid. Whoops. 

Yep. American health care sure is.... something. 

• Posted

What I do is add a few drops of lime juice to a glass of water to take with my meals.  This will slightly increase the acidity in your stomach whilst you are eating.

As to the muscle relaxers - was there not a leaflet with them?  If not do an internet search on their name and look for "Side effects"  or "counter - actions".  Either that or have a word with your pharmacist for free advice.

I do hope you can get your health insurance back soon.

Take care now.

• Posted

I’ll try the lime juice! Sounds like a good idea. 

As for the muscle relaxers, I tried looking it up but the answers were kinda vague. 

Thank you, your advice really helped and I feel a little more at ease smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.