What To Eat After the Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm really struggling to eat.  I  get terrible  low down  stomach cramps after  eating  anything.   Before  I  had the operation  I made  some  sweet potato  soup,   the cramps and diarrhoea  was agony, won't be doing that again!    I've tried  tinned  oxtail soup with the same results. 

I  can't  eat  veggies,  salads, eggs,  meats,  puddings  upset me  too. 

I'm  now  feeling  very  depressed  with  it all and  so weak from  lack of nourishment  .   I  do  have  IBS and  diverticulitis  as well  but  can't  get  any treatment.   I've  hit  a brick wall.   Any  ideas  on food  or suggestions  welcome. 

Thanks. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda, I've had same issues as you've been experiencing, people with gallbladder removal cannot digest fats well so that's why the bloating and diarrhea. Research gallbladder diets, eat lower fats, no grains, smaller meals and try ox bile supplements. Not sure what's in your soup but butter or cream can cause problems, salad dressings can be high fat, I just use a little olive oil but you have to adjust yourself and everyone is different in what bothers them. Youtube has some good videos about the ox bile and what's going on with digestion after gallbladder removal. Good luck to you smile

• Posted

Hi Linda,  sorry you're suffering with this.  I am wondering why you can't get treatment for your IBS an diverticulitis? 

It seems to me that what's occurring is that your bile is dripping into your small intestine over night.  With your gallbladder gone, there is no way for your liver to store the bile.  That results in diarrhea.  The diarrhea is usually loosely formed stools, surrounded by a caustic yellow liquid, which is the bile. Accordingly, the  last thing you need is an ox bile supplement, because you already have too much bile in your system.

Also, a hormone is excreted by the body at the end of the digestive cycle to allow the bile to be reabsorbed by the body.  Sometimes people just stop making this hormone. No one knows why.  

There is a medication that can be prescribed to absorb the excess bile. Some people are helped by taking a calcium carbonate pill each time they eat.  Or, increasing their fiber intake. 

In the meantime, I suggest you try small frequent meals.  I make a concoction of white rice, frozen peas and carrots and canned organic white meat chicken. I also take calcium and a prescription.  I also use small amounts of butter from grass fed cows. You can also try the BRAT diet, bananas, rice, applesauce and toast to see if things settle. Have you considered that you might be allergic to the lactose in milk?  

Hope this helps. xx

• Posted

Some people have the misconception that the last thing you need is more bile but it's when you need the bile. The liver makes the bile and then is released in to the gallbladder, when you eat the gallbladder releases the bile when you need it, without a gallbladder yes the bile is just dripping in to the intestines but when you eat, especially when eating fats there is not enough bile to aid in your digestion. Many people adjust to this after gallbladder removal but a small percentage do not like me and that's why I had to adjust the foods I eat and that's hard because it's a lot of trial and error but I do take the bile supplement and it's worked for me, that also needs adjustment to find a good dose, for me it's about 250mg sometimes more. Anyway I always recommend everyone do the research themselves and learn as much as you can and also to reassure you the ox bile will not harm you, too much may cause diarreah but I believe worth a try when you're suffering and may just be a good tool in your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Lynda     I've been hospitalised  so many times with this  pain but they only 

keep me on the same medication I take at home then send me home still in pain! 

I think It's the diverticulitis  , they can't do anything for it.  It's the cramping pain I'm 

really struggling with,  it's  constant  at the  minute.     I've tried  windeze and buscopan but they don't help.        Your rice dish sounds nice  but I   can't eat peas  and I  don't  eat anything out of a tin as there are usually  spices or  something  else  in it I can't have.

Anyone  know  what  helps  wind pain  ?       I  can't have  peppermint. 

• Posted

Hi Debsa,     I  will look into the bile  supplements. Thanks !! 
    • Posted

If you buy organic, there shouldn't be any spices in it.  Look for white meat chicken packed in water. Does peppermint upset your stomach even more?  What happens when you take it?

• Posted

whether the gallbladder is removed or not, the  liver works 24/7 and always some amount of bile drains from the the other duct to common duct even before the gallbladder is removed. So i can't understand what folks means that liver has to work more . Please try colestipol to stop diarrhea  or check with gastro he might prescribed one. Eat regular small meals with rice.

• Posted

I think that people may be speaking about the coordination of how bile is emitted.  Before, the liver released bile into the gallbladder where it was stored and doled out.  Without the gallbladder, that process doesn't take place.  Therefore, left to itself, the liver can release too much, not enough or just enough bile. Kind of like the story "Goldilocks and the Three Bears."  smile After surgery, the liver releases "just right" amounts for some people.  But there are others on either end of the spectrum.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.